Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Sky is the limit...
    PostPosted:Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:19 pm 
    Literally Nine

Hey all, I'm back from my vacation/getting-money-for-a-new-computer time... the last piece should arrive later this week. I've spent the greater amount of time of not coding by outlining things that need to be done and how to do them. None of this is done yet, and in fact, I'm probably going to need to do a relatively large re-write of Uplink's current code to do some of this. A few things you can expect in the future...

Firstly, a new HUD Interface - Trojan Interface <need a better name>; this interface is basically a wildcard interface. The general idea is this:
    0) User purchases a small router or gateway to be the receiver (done before the hack)
    1) User breaks into a computer (in this example, GCD)
    2) User gains admin and console access
    3) User installs a trojan (and does things to help make it less detectable)
    4) User can now look up records, disable security, or arrest people without needing to log in. This means no active trace (or passive, in many cases)

This is helpful for "batch" missions, such as if you frequently arrest people or rob banks a lot. (Bear in mind, any techniques you had before in robbing banks won't work. Even with this enhancement, you'll probably tear your hair out trying to make a robbery work)

This Interface will replace the uMP3 interface (stupid copyright laws)

Secondly - a Satellite system. I was thinking along the lines of installing spying software and intercepting transmissions. Any other ideas for this?

I have a whole crap-load of other stuff I don't want anyone to know of yet, but for these, I wanted to see what sort of reaction I would get.

Also, post and ideas you might have... I'm excitied to start up again as soon as I receive my RAM.

P.S. - Should I make a PHP page that shows what I will be doing and if it's done or not? (rather, have prophile make said page? ;) )

Last edited by Miah on Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:09 am 

Glad to have you back! As far as naming the interface... that's tough, nothing is as descriptive as "Trojan Interface". But you're right, it does need something better. Remote Amin Interface??? Best I could come up with in 30 seconds, and I'm not sure if it's really any better, lol. It's subtle, yet to the point. The application sounds pretty good, but will there be some kind of timeout? Like when you lose admin access after a mission, only a little longer hopefully. Otherwise it would be a little too easy, and there would be no reprocusions for it if there's no trace. Most of us have been playing long enough to bypass security and everything in a matter of moments as it is. Although, if you're planning to beef up the systems a good deal, then it would definitely be worth it. On that note, I can't wait to see the new tricks you have in store for us (even though I'm already pulling my hair out to try to get past the secure VDPIN 1&2 on the advanced test machine, the VDPIN_Defeater won't work on them, lol). Ok, back on subject. I'm sure you'll be charging an arm and a leg(and possibly much more) for the upgrade, not to mention the router, but how will players come by virii? Are you still planning on tying it in with the C++ client? Or done somewhat like what was laid out in the "FAQ"... Anyway, I think it sounds like a pretty good idea. And all of those questions were rhetorical, unless you want to tell us, lol. With the satellite system, another idea would be shutting down inbound connections(to a particular system owned by the same company???) for some "time frame" type missions. Not sure of the actual application of such a mission, but I'm sure you could come up with something. But it could be set up a lot like a LAN, and have the Admin trying to boot you out and restore connections again. Possibly use a Sys upgrade as opposed to a HUD upgrade so that you could just use the LAN viewer instead of having to add a seperate button, possibly even combine using the pc(terminal)force upgrade to gain access and the LAN to work around inside the system. I don't know, that my 2 cents or so. I could say more but I'd like to see what other players have to say. I already do more than my share of non-staff "work" (intellectual affirmation/conceptual developement)on this as it is, lol, I need to give other players a chance to step up. Always got me in trouble with my teachers as well. They said I think too much. I didn't know that was a bad thing in school. Well, until I started failing math for not showing my work, and then eventually for showing that I do things differently (and more easily I might add) than what they teach. Public schools, gotta love 'em. Wow, ok, sorry, ADD kid here... :shock: Anyway, on topic, yeah, sounds like you've got a lotta of good stuff planned for us. Good to see you were actually doing some work while you were gone. :wink: Haha, I kid... But yeah, can't wait to get my hands on it. DARN THE SYSTEM AND NOT BEING AN INTERNAL TESTER!!!!!! Haha.

Oh, and yes, a php site would be an excellent idea. (Poor prophile, lol)

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:28 pm 
    Connoisseur of the Godawful

Yahoo Messenger:alistair_lynn
    AOL:Agent_Vast@mac.com
    'tis in the works as we speak.

-.-

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:17 pm 

Prophile, you're completely awesome. :D

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:08 pm 

Heh, thanks ;)

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:36 am 

http://onlink-mod.net/progress.php

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:44 am 

Yet again prophile, you pwn!

One question... what's wrong with having the MP3 HUD...? Can't you just call it "Music HUD" and allow it to play MP3s? Or is that not the problem...?