Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Weekly Onlink Video
PostPosted:Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:21 pm 

I just wanted to say thank you to the two who replied in my last thread as well as to everyone who posted on the forums in the past. Because of the old threads and new I was able to finish the project that I was working on.

I'll be releasing Onlink videos every Thursday on Youtube with possible commentary of some sort. Check it out if you guys are interested.

I have been watching this community off and on since 2005 and I figure it is about time I tried to give something back. I may not have posted much on these boards, but I have seen it evolve significantly from the background. Miah, Tycho and everyone else thank you for all the work you have put into this great project!

Post subject:Re: Weekly Onlink Video
PostPosted:Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:59 am 

That's quite a great job you did there. I'll be sure to spread the word! :classy:

Now, on to some feedback:

- I vote for the notes instead of the feedback. Not only does it draw more attention to the video, but also nothing goes along better with onlink than that music! Besides, I agree with your point: the good thing about notes is that you can turn them off.

- Thinking of those people who discover the game through the game: putting the link to the Ferrous Moon in the start of the comment, since a lot of them won't read the whole thing. A link in the beggining of the video would also be nice.

- A little tip: the dictionary hacker is virtually useless as you advance through the game, but is very handy on the beginning, when almost all server use words as passwords and the breaker takes ages. And it's chep anyway! :classy:

Curious detail: I'm VERY glad I'm paranoid about forum posts. Haven't had any trouble since 2009 or so, but still I always ctrlA ctrlC before posting anything. Apparently the forum ate my post... glad I had it copied! :lol:

PostPosted:Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:48 am 
Literally Nine

Various ramblings inspired by sleep depravation (perhaps the largest source of my ideas anyway):
Quote:
When you see "Fill this in", you can just start typing. Or was that an a8 thing? Well, if it is, you can hit esc for a quick clear anyway.

I'm surprised anyone still uses that stock system.

The Render 3D section was not intended for lights-out. I think people got a bit tired of that and to be fully honest, a lights-out cube is actually insanely easy in comparison to what we already have. This said, I'm not going to tell you yet what it was for, as we might still use it in Onlink.

I need to drop kick that damn song. I hate that last note holding for so long. I put it in a normal player and it doesn't do that. I don't know why it's doing it in this codebase.

You're going to hate NGRP if I decide to make it. Which, now, I just might. You seem to have it too easy :3

You so greedy. ಠ_ಠ

Disabling the monitor after you break in is pointless. The monitor serves to start a trace on suspect activity other than admin init (which will begin a trace whether or not the monitor is enabled). So if you're looking at that screen, you really need not do anything. The best use of it right now is if you can disable/bypass a proxy but you lack the tool for the firewall (as a proxy will also disable your ability to click things on that screen)

PostPosted:Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:21 am 

Hey thank you both for the feedback!

Well, for the next one I already did a dub over commentary, so i'll try the notes after the bank hacking section is done.

Next part officially will be released next Thursday, but I have it up unlisted right now. You are welcome to take a look to compare it and see which one came out better. Or comment on any inaccuracys of what I said. If ya comment before Thursday i'll make a new version of it with it fixed.
Quote:
I'm surprised anyone still uses that stock system.
Yeah, I don't really use it all that much. I mainly did it to show that it was there and how you could make money off of it. That later part will be like 20 parts in or more before i go back there. The stock system would probably be more used imo if one could type in the number of stocks to buy instead of pressing decrease and increase. Since it takes alot of time I barely touch it let alone that the price fluctuations are only updated at month end.
Quote:
When you see "Fill this in", you can just start typing. Or was that an a8 thing? Well, if it is, you can hit esc for a quick clear anyway.
Yeah, I realized I could type over it way later in the game. However, even later in the game I found some tools which that would not work. I forget which offhand. But I would just type over it and it would not clear.
Quote:
The Render 3D section was not intended for lights-out. I think people got a bit tired of that and to be fully honest, a lights-out cube is actually insanely easy in comparison to what we already have. This said, I'm not going to tell you yet what it was for, as we might still use it in Onlink.
Thanks for letting me know I could only speculate. I'll correct the comment with yours.
Quote:
I need to drop kick that damn song. I hate that last note holding for so long. I put it in a normal player and it doesn't do that. I don't know why it's doing it in this codebase.
LOL, yeah sometimes I kept thinking the game was frozen because of it doing that. By the way on the subject, do you know of any mod to .uni converter or midi to .uni or any other music I could stick in there for the future? (vids are done so it would only be for any additions)

(start small rant) I googled for about 2 hours but I could find zero uni files. I even checked my developer disc for uplink and they had a few of the missing songs but not even in the right format. That format drives me crazy... doesn't make much sense to me why it was not OGG or some other open source format from the beginning when uplink was being created. MP3 I understand the reasoning to avoid that because of licensing, but OGG does make some sense imo over an obscure format like .uni LOL (end rant)
Quote:
You're going to hate NGRP if I decide to make it. Which, now, I just might. You seem to have it too easy :3
Now I am intrigued. That another security system? LOL and as for easy the annoying angry list is probably the most difficult thing I could find. I really hated it deleting files after I added them to the list. Then again.. I never did find the v3 of the vsec though I did hack ferrous moon systems for the storyline missions (Does that have an ending btw it seemed open ended with them being mystified in the end by the code base and my gateway monitor never turned off from yellow again (till i almost got caught once)).
Quote:
Disabling the monitor after you break in is pointless. The monitor serves to start a trace on suspect activity other than admin init (which will begin a trace whether or not the monitor is enabled). So if you're looking at that screen, you really need not do anything. The best use of it right now is if you can disable/bypass a proxy but you lack the tool for the firewall (as a proxy will also disable your ability to click things on that screen)
Yeah, after I break in that I know. I mostly disable it out of habit more than necessity. Once the trace starts it is pointless as ya said.

PostPosted:Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:43 pm 

Quote:
(start small rant) I googled for about 2 hours but I could find zero uni files. I even checked my developer disc for uplink and they had a few of the missing songs but not even in the right format. That format drives me crazy... doesn't make much sense to me why it was not OGG or some other open source format from the beginning when uplink was being created. MP3 I understand the reasoning to avoid that because of licensing, but OGG does make some sense imo over an obscure format like .uni LOL (end rant)
Just rename .uni as .mod, the convert the .mod files

PostPosted:Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:02 pm 

nah, i am saying mod to uni not uni to mod. If I converted a UNI to MOD I would just be going backwards. I can play .UNI files fine in a player. Do you know of a free MOD to UNI converter?

PostPosted:Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:53 pm 
Literally Nine

I had one but I converted these in like 2006, so I don't remember what it was. :/

PostPosted:Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:41 am 

ah o well, thanks anyway. :) Was worth a shot

PostPosted:Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:17 pm 
Literally Nine

Moar ramblings.

NGRP is based on IGRP. IGRP in laymen's terms allows a maximum jump of 255 systems. I will not be so kind. You don't even need a trace monitor. And that makes me sad. :(

That said, learn to juggle your systems now. You threw up the proxy bypass immediately and that's not the wisest thing to do if you're not running a monitor bypass.

You might notice the connection analyser interface has a red ant highlight on systems at some points. While this is undocumented, this does actually have a purpose. Every few seconds, the monitor checks a system's integrity and the red highlight will tell you want system is being checked. If at the precise moment the system is either disabled *or* bypassed, the monitor throws at alert to the system. In the future, this may result in your hack being noticed, the trace speed increased, or causing your hack to be immediately escalated to an Uplink agent to find you. Right now the biggest way you'll be affected is system upgrades. The more you ignore the monitor features, the faster the security system versions will grow. In fact, the best way to mitigate system growth is to re-enable from the admin menu or remove bypasses on all the systems before you disconnect. Seeing as no one seems to have discovered this yet, I suppose I could let that much go.

Bank account passwords are almost always dictionary breakable.

I came up with the new list of names ಠ_ಠ. What's wrong with them?

Not all companies use Uplink for services. All companies have a sort of moral compass and thusly some will never hire Uplink with the interest in doing business honestly. These companies don't typically do well on the stock exchange for some reason. :3

Bank transfers have a countdown from detection to discovery of approximately 120 seconds. I don't remember, but I think that agents don't even need to storm into your gateway to stomp on you in the case of bank hacks.

"I've got them traced back to me even after I removed all logs in InterNIC" -- this would be because you're deleting all logs on InterNIC. What would you think if you opened a system log that had a connection terminated entry with no matching connection established one?

Bank numbers are indeed randomized. Feel free to close some poor sod's account and you'll see he'll open a new random bank account, possibly somewhere else.

Neuromancer rating is not completely useless though it's pretty rubbish. It does, however, affect the type of missions that are offered.

Highest Uplink rating? That would be TERMINAL. Let's see here… *opens code* If you did zero missions before you started hacking banks, you would need to successfully rob 17 before you have the maximum rating.

Also, your voice is mostly fine. Though the obvious advantage with annotations is that you can change them after you upload a video. So, your choice really.

PostPosted:Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:40 pm 

Quote:
NGRP is based on IGRP. IGRP in laymen's terms allows a maximum jump of 255 systems. I will not be so kind. You don't even need a trace monitor. And that makes me sad. :(
Yeah, i'll agree the way I did it was pretty cheap.
Quote:
The more you ignore the monitor features, the faster the security system versions will grow. In fact, the best way to mitigate system growth is to re-enable from the admin menu or remove bypasses on all the systems before you disconnect. Seeing as no one seems to have discovered this yet, I suppose I could let that much go.
Now that tidbit is interesting. I always assumed that the security turned back on immediately after i disconnected since they were only bypassed temporarily. I'll make note to turn em back on before disconnecting in the future.
Quote:
I came up with the new list of names ಠ_ಠ. What's wrong with them?
Most of em are great. It is only a few of em that are funny. ;)
Quote:
Bank transfers have a countdown from detection to discovery of approximately 120 seconds. I don't remember, but I think that agents don't even need to storm into your gateway to stomp on you in the case of bank hacks.
Yeah, that sounds about right.
Quote:
"I've got them traced back to me even after I removed all logs in InterNIC" -- this would be because you're deleting all logs on InterNIC. What would you think if you opened a system log that had a connection terminated entry with no matching connection established one?
Good point. I just always figured the game wouldn't catch that discrepancy. Guess I was wrong. :)
Quote:
Highest Uplink rating? That would be TERMINAL. Let's see here… *opens code* If you did zero missions before you started hacking banks, you would need to successfully rob 17 before you have the maximum rating.
Nice, I was pretty close then. :)
Quote:
Also, your voice is mostly fine. Though the obvious advantage with annotations is that you can change them after you upload a video. So, your choice really.
Yeah, that is my main complaint as well. If youtube allowed for two audio tracks with both of them modifiable my life would be much easier, but alas there is no such option. Maybe someday. In the end i'll probably just do a mixture of annotations and dubs. That way neither is overused.

PostPosted:Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:03 pm 

Sorry for stealing the thread, but I'm just curious, is there any news on _any_ updates?

Seems like Miah haves a bunch of ideas in this thread, but will it ever be incorporated into the game?

Afaik there is a number of bugs, gateways/lifting servers bugging, VSEC 3/PC hacking and prolly a whole bunch of more.

Love the work and the game, and I don't want to see it wither and die :(

On topic.

Love the show, but sometimes it appears your voice is a bit low/crispy, or is it Youtube that reduces the quality? Or is my connection just...shiet.

Regards

Chi

PostPosted:Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:33 pm 

Quote:
Love the show, but sometimes it appears your voice is a bit low/crispy, or is it Youtube that reduces the quality? Or is my connection just...shiet.
From your description it probably is the filter that i used to lessen the buzz in the background.

PostPosted:Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:14 pm 
Literally Nine

So uh, any more?

PostPosted:Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:30 pm 

yeah i posted one on thursday like i said. Do you want me to post a reply here on every new one? I was trying to limit the spam.

PostPosted:Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:27 am 
Literally Nine

Honestly I wouldn't mind if you did. I do enjoy the commentary because I don't very frequently see how a player tends to see how the game functions. Fresh point of view has been helpful for future plans.