Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Crashes While Saving
    PostPosted:Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 am 

Hi, any help with the following problem would be appreciated :) :

I was playing Onlink without any issues, other than having a long save time ( about 30 seconds when logging off), until the point I got caught hacking a bank (the dog does not seem to understand that stealing the keyboard to exchange for treats is not helpful). I deleted the user file and stated again. Now if I play for more than a couple of minutes and log off the game crashes while logging off, and I can't even alt-tab to CrissCross to see if there is an error displayed there, I have to kill the process (I have tried leaving it while "crashed" overnight to see if its just being really slow). I thought maybe I had messed something up so I deleted Onlink and reinstalled it. I still have the same problem though. I'd be happy to go without logging off if not for the fact it was necessary to complete gateway upgrades. I am running the 0.2.0 a8-r23 version on a windows XP PC. Can anyone give me a clue as to why Onlink keeps crashing when it didn't use to and is there anything that can be done about it (other than trying to install a different OS).

Many thanks,
    Selflon

Post subject:Re: Crashes While Saving
    PostPosted:Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:38 am 

its a issue known for many months... (pre-2010 i think..), and none of the devs seems to be willing to do something about it, i guess they'r too busy with ... the project codename "Cerberus".
    afaik, theres no workaround to-date.

want the technical explanation?
    Onlink (and uplink) Used to have a binary savefile-format. Onlink changed to XML type savefile, that (In My not so Humble Opinion) suck bigtime.
    refereed to by miah, or was it Tycho? don't remember.. as the biggest embarrassment in onlink development history.
    the entire savefile is created IN MEMORY, witch quickly take up several gigabytes of ram, first off, the way its allocated is inefficient, it takes long time, the creation goes in loops that can make the program unresponsive for several minutes, secondly, if the malloc() fails (out of ram etc), it will simply crash onlink.
    for example, if i hardcore play for 1-2 days, upon SAVING, the process will use over 8 gb ram, and crash during saving, due to a "failed memory allocation";i have a total of 8-9 gb on my pc.
    Whats the difference between a binary save file and XML savefile?
    heres a binary save for cash 500:
    0201F1
    //first byte: bytes to read for cash... may actually be un-needed. this is 3 (or 2 without first) bytes to save.

here XML for the same info...:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    <cash>500</cash>
    //56 bytes to save
    as you can see above, using XML save format may use more than 10 times the space/ram of binary save format. and Onlink quickly needs to save several hundred/thousands of that type of info..

PostPosted:Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:15 pm 
    Literally Nine

We've said multiple times that mc2m has started working on fixing this.

PostPosted:Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:52 pm 

Ok, I know it's an old thread and all, but I encountered this problem. I'm using an old notebook with windows XP for about a week while at my grandparents house and I can play about 2-3 games, including Uplink & Onlink.

Now, the problem: I disabled the autosave, but after about 30min, the game still crashes with no reason per see. I know the beta version is actually alpha(with the adjacent problems), but the "current" version doesn't even download(some tarball problem), and the previous version doesn't have the appeal. Maybe it's because of the CrissCross :D .

So, is there a fix that doesn't delete the logs? The "fried" missions don't bother me much, but I can't compile any code, and I still have some hope for a different fix. I would relly apreciate an answer, the quicker the better. :)

PostPosted:Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:22 pm 

Well i have a suggestion. Why not make a file that has all server information stored. All computers in the whole game except your gateway. And the file would be...well...always the same. The same server would be on the same location every time, even if you would start a new game. An then the save file that would contain your progress and gateway settings and other crucial stuff.

But the problem is for the logs and data you delete then.