Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:An emotional bug report - Assertion failed OSX 0.2.0-a8-r15
    PostPosted:Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:54 pm 

Here I go.

After 4, maybe 5 nightly hours of cultivating a headache over how to get inside the damn Ferrous LAN, I had almost given up on trying to get into the CM. I had explored all other options, denied the Lifters and GWS, checked out the ISM, everything. At one point I found myself hacking the ARC Name Server to get more links to Uplink Labs servers, hoping maybe there would be some software stashed away that would shed new light on things. :?

I started to feel like an idiot for spending so much time on the damn CM instead of looking for a VPN service for the LAN when I finally got the ACS to allow my decypher and proxy disabler! :shock: Yay! (Still no clue on how -exactly- the ACS decides what software to allow, but if I ever need to get past another ACS I'll let future me handle that) 8)

So all of a sudden I'm in the CM, and yeah, there's my VPN key generator! I enter the AS ip and the major key I got from a probe. Failed to find any trace of a minor key, so checked out the forums and found the bug where 10.0 is displayed as just 10, so put 0 as my minor key. I disconnect, bounce through the AS to the LAN, realize in my excitement I forgot to download the key file for my LAN agent, so I go back to the mainframe and - poof - Onlink gone.

After restarting it, it fails to load my profile. :cry:

I am broken. I just spent hours of my life trying to figure out how to get in to the damn LAN, and just when I think I finally got it, solved the problem, discovered a way in, have the holy grail within reach,

-zip-
    ACCESS DENIED. ERROR.
    Please understand my pain.

This is what Onlink has to say for itself:
    Code:
    [0x0-0x4c54c5].com.ferrousmoon.onlink[92247] Reading profile from alias.xml.gz... [0x0-0x4c54c5].com.ferrousmoon.onlink[92247] 2.031s [0x0-0x4c54c5].com.ferrousmoon.onlink[92247] Importing profile... [0x0-0x4c54c5].com.ferrousmoon.onlink[92247] Assertion failed : '_first' [0x0-0x4c54c5].com.ferrousmoon.onlink[92247] File: ../../contrib/crisscross/source/crisscross/compare.h [0x0-0x4c54c5].com.ferrousmoon.onlink[92247] Line: 62 ... bunch of stack frames ... com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[166] ([0x0-0x4c54c5].com.ferrousmoon.onlink[92247]) Exited with exit code: 255
    I'm on a MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz C2D, running OSX 10.6, Onlink 0.2.0-a8 r15.

Is there a way to recover/repair the profile?
    Is there a way to avoid the crash? Like I said, it happened to me before.
    Is there by any chance a newer build for the mac?

I don't know how relevant bug reports like this are with Cerberus development going on, but I figured I could try and see if I can at least get my profile back. Also I couldn't find a better forum to post this in.

As this is my first post, I'd also like to say hello and express my extreme gratitude to everyone working on Onlink. Uplink is such an awesome game, and Onlink makes it so much more interesting, also in terms of what directions it could go in in the future. Really looking forward to an announcement on Cerberus in September! :D I'd be glad to contribute if my limited programming skills and a little less limited understandings of interaction design can be of help.

Post subject:Re: An emotional bug report - Assertion failed OSX 0.2.0-a8-
    PostPosted:Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:11 am 
    Literally Nine

Quote:
    Is there a way to recover/repair the profile?
    Maybe. I'd need to see the profile first.
    Quote:
    Is there a way to avoid the crash? Like I said, it happened to me before.
    Another maybe. This is less likely but to know for sure, I would need that core dump that you omitted.
    Quote:
    Is there by any chance a newer build for the mac?
    Not immediately. The fact of the matter is that the Soul Crusher Savegame Bug of +7 Wait Forever is not an effect on the Mac or Linux systems. Along these lines, we also haven't had a lot of Mac/Linux testers which actually makes your bug one we haven't seen before.

I guess what I'm saying is that I could use your profile and related logs.

PostPosted:Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:29 am 

Thanks for getting back to me. Here's the profile:
    http://turnavies.electric-green.feralho ... ias.xml.gz
    It won't gunzip, says "unexpected end of file".

Onlink crashes when trying to load the corrupted profile, which is the error I described in the first post.
    http://turnavies.electric-green.feralho ... 0_1210.log
    Actually this just means Onlink crashes when loading my corrupted profile, so I'm not sure if that log helps.
    How Onlink crashed and corrupted it in the first place is still unclear... sorry to say I didn't save any logs or core dumps of that first crash.

I'll have to get back to you when it happens again. Where can I get the core dump next time?
    I looked in '~/Libary/Logs/CrashReporter', but if it ever was there, it's not anymore.

On a side note: I'd be happy to try some new builds out on my Macs if you need more testers.
    Really excited about this all atm, so if I can contribute in any way, just let me know.

PostPosted:Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:28 pm 
    Literally Nine

If it says "unexpected end of file", then it really is a truncated file. That'd be why it doesn't load, too.

Also, we're working on very very rudimentary SQLite support in Onlink to undo the XML savegame mess.

PostPosted:Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:33 pm 
    Literally Nine

Great. Now I'm actually feeling a bit depressed on this one.

I don't know why, but your save is corrupted. And there's not a lot I can do about it because it truncated like 95% of the computers in the game. The save thread didn't even bomb, it just failed and closed the brackets. I don't know what the hell.

So that's the bad news. The better news is that Onlink will now save backups.

http://www.onlink-mod.net/files/Onlink-0.2.0-r51.zip (Sorry windows players, this download is Mac-only. We're working on something for you)

Hopefully you're not too put off on this.

PostPosted:Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:09 am 

Wow apparently I never got back here to thank you, sorry about that.

The save backup helped getting me through the final (?) mission, but not until just a few days ago :D
    I ran into some other bug where VSEC2.0 didn't work anymore when I had successfully disarmed a VSEC3.0 and gave up for a while.

I recently started playing again, and this time I managed to work around
    • random crashes/truncated save game files (thanks to your backup fix :) )
    • VSEC3.0/VSEC2.0 bug (restarting game right before and after 3.0)
    • Gateway/ACS password verification ("system, no pw", PCForce back to login = verified)
    • CM VPN generator bug: Onlink crashes when on disconnect, the key file is still on the file server :!:
    • Probably some other bugs that I've forgotten :wink:
    BTW I'm on OSX 10.6, I'm still using Onlink 0.2.0-a9-r51, although the .plist says Bundle version 0.2.0-a7.

I think I've now completed the Ferrous storyline, thanks again for the fix. The story ends after the LAN, correct? Is the original Uplink storyline still in the game? I fast forwarded and it didn't come up anymore.

Anyway, still playing and loving Onlink every once in a while. Looking forward to Cerberus/Kite, and can't wait to see which will see the light of day first: Kite or IV's Subversion :wink: