Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Thank you very much!
PostPosted:Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:18 pm 

This topic is simple, i want to say thank you to all people who spent time on making such a brilliant masterpiece -> Onlink.

When i saw some screenshots i though that this will be somewhat cool mod. But when i installed Onlink beta i was totally amazed. Loads of new features and security systems. Now the game brings much more fun with new missions, you will not get bored that easily (did not get bored yet) and new sotyline! (which i did not get into much yet)

Simply, this game totally rocks. It deserves its name because it is that good that it is not Uplink anymore.Now the game is very complex, it feels like you are in real world, lots of names, corporations, servers, banks... I only wish i could donate at least something.

Now i will end with a few issues that i have:
1) brand new hotkeys are cool, but they doesnt save when i log off, but it is still easier setting them again than running programs manually
2) I dont know what is wrong but saving takes about 1 to 3 minutes... a bit boring (with autosave i couldnt play at all)
3) This game is so complex that some simple guides or general infos would be good (i know about wiki btw, but it is hard to find page that you are looking for)
EDIT:4) is there any way to backup save files of Onlink and not whole uplink directory? I know that world is not fair, but anyways it is too unfair that uplink cut me off, there is no defence against that (no security or additionals gateways help)

Thank you again very much, your time is worth it.

Post subject:Re: Thank you very much!
PostPosted:Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:59 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Moved to Onlink Banter.

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:15 am 

Just a fun fact:

When i updated my uplink to newest version and first connected to the IRC (it has been months ago), i was running to show it to my sister and she said: "Are you really sure that you aren´t hacking real banks?"

Now that i started to play Onlink, I tried (i would hack it if stupid uplink wouldnt cut me off) to hack Miah Clayton´s PC and i had to ask myself: "Am I really sure that i am not hacking real computer?"

So, am i?

PostPosted:Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:22 am 
Organ Donor

Yeah Miah would totally put a link to his own computer in the game.
He's just that crazy!

Pleasantville by Night, a humorous horror web RPG

PostPosted:Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:21 am 

Quote:
Just a fun fact:

When i updated my uplink to newest version and first connected to the IRC (it has been months ago), i was running to show it to my sister and she said: "Are you really sure that you aren´t hacking real banks?"

Now that i started to play Onlink, I tried (i would hack it if stupid uplink wouldnt cut me off) to hack Miah Clayton´s PC and i had to ask myself: "Am I really sure that i am not hacking real computer?"

So, am i?
Course not. ^v^ Onlink has no net connection, and besides, we don't have such a thing as gigaquads.

It's more a nice reference to some little injokes.

PostPosted:Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:09 pm 

AOL:VaiusArkollos
Quote:
Yeah Miah would totally put a link to his own computer in the game.
He's just that crazy!
Yeah, and he also gave us the power to fast forward and pause time!

Hm, nine days till school is out? No problem! I'll just load up Onlink here, and...

AHA! June 24th! Summer vacation!

-I am Vaius of nine days in the future, and I aprove this message.-

PostPosted:Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:47 am 
Literally Nine

We'll be releasing a savegame fix eventually. This couple of minutes bullshit is murder. It's far too sadistic for my liking. And I'm pretty damn sadistic.

Let me tell you how sadistic I am.

You know those missions in Onlink to "ruin a person's life"? In the game, this is what you do:

- Hack the GDC, find the person
- Add a, b, parole to the convictions, press arrest
- Wait three hours

Laaaaaaaaaaaame.

Here's a short outline of what you *could* be doing in Cerberus. It's naturally not implemented, but you know. Penciled in and shit.

- Call a team member in to take a hit on his wife. A remote microwave from helicopter would work for this, effectively shorting out the computer board on her car while on the freeway. No control, no brakes, no steering. Do the math.
- Hack court and police records, get a warrant the man's arrest on suspicion of murder of his wife. Make sure he's allowed parole. The poor man has kids he needs to take care of. :(
- Hack into his company's PR section and schedule his termination from the company. Have them fire him by phone.
- Did I mention the kids before? We need to deal with them too. Hack Child Protective Services and have them take his kids away.
- Whoops, looks like there was a mistake in the system. The kids were just supposed to be interviewed. However, due to an unrelated glitch, we seem to have lost your children in the system. Totally our bad, dude. D:
- Oh man, looks like the IRS is auditing him now. Apparently he hasn't paid taxes in seven years. Surely couldn't be that the records were lost. That would just be impossible.
- Totally bad day, man. Hey, by the way, the bank is repossessing your house and you have until noon to grab everything you can and get the hell out. Also, sorry about that wrecked car that had your former wife in it. Wonder how you're going to get your stuff out...?
- Oh, you're on the roof of high-rise. Cool view, huh? Excuse me while I jam your phone's transmission while you're trying to call the suicide prevention hotline. Better yet, jam it one way only, so they can't hear you. Nothing quite as heartwarming as being hung up on by the suicide prevention hotline.
- I see you're coming down from that building now. Based on your velocity, I assume it's not by elevator. I just thought I should call you and let you know that we found your children whom you love and cherish and you can come down and get them. When would a good time be?
- Splat.

And that, gentlemen, is how you should be destroying someone's life.

PostPosted:Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:45 am 

An overdose is less work and more effective.

PostPosted:Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:22 am 
Organ Donor

Quote:
I think that was one of the eventual plans for the MedDB, screwing with people's prescriptions. Of course that was Onlink, who knows how it'll work in Cerberus?

PostPosted:Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:35 am 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Quote:
Pfft, that's if you just want to kill the schmuck. You want to ruin his life.

Overdose? Too easy.

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:07 am 

Quote:
We'll be releasing a savegame fix eventually. This couple of minutes bullshit is murder. It's far too sadistic for my liking. And I'm pretty damn sadistic.

Let me tell you how sadistic I am.

You know those missions in Onlink to "ruin a person's life"? In the game, this is what you do:

- Hack the GDC, find the person
- Add a, b, parole to the convictions, press arrest
- Wait three hours

Laaaaaaaaaaaame.

Here's a short outline of what you *could* be doing in Cerberus. It's naturally not implemented, but you know. Penciled in and shit.

- Call a team member in to take a hit on his wife. A remote microwave from helicopter would work for this, effectively shorting out the computer board on her car while on the freeway. No control, no brakes, no steering. Do the math.
- Hack court and police records, get a warrant the man's arrest on suspicion of murder of his wife. Make sure he's allowed parole. The poor man has kids he needs to take care of. :(
- Hack into his company's PR section and schedule his termination from the company. Have them fire him by phone.
- Did I mention the kids before? We need to deal with them too. Hack Child Protective Services and have them take his kids away.
- Whoops, looks like there was a mistake in the system. The kids were just supposed to be interviewed. However, due to an unrelated glitch, we seem to have lost your children in the system. Totally our bad, dude. D:
- Oh man, looks like the IRS is auditing him now. Apparently he hasn't paid taxes in seven years. Surely couldn't be that the records were lost. That would just be impossible.
- Totally bad day, man. Hey, by the way, the bank is repossessing your house and you have until noon to grab everything you can and get the hell out. Also, sorry about that wrecked car that had your former wife in it. Wonder how you're going to get your stuff out...?
- Oh, you're on the roof of high-rise. Cool view, huh? Excuse me while I jam your phone's transmission while you're trying to call the suicide prevention hotline. Better yet, jam it one way only, so they can't hear you. Nothing quite as heartwarming as being hung up on by the suicide prevention hotline.
- I see you're coming down from that building now. Based on your velocity, I assume it's not by elevator. I just thought I should call you and let you know that we found your children whom you love and cherish and you can come down and get them. When would a good time be?
- Splat.

And that, gentlemen, is how you should be destroying someone's life.
<3

You should totally contact Introversion and see if you can get it released on Steam or something.

PostPosted:Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:58 am 
Organ Donor

Quote:
You should totally contact Introversion and see if you can get it released on Steam or something.
What does Introversion have to do with releasing it on Steam? Cerberus is a totally different game which I don't think uses any Uplink code at all, so Introversion has no say in anything.

PostPosted:Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:59 pm 

I think it would be total waste of time if it wouldnt use any Uplink code... I think that Uplink is good "base" for Cerberus

PostPosted:Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:03 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
What does Introversion have to do with releasing it on Steam? Cerberus is a totally different game which I don't think uses any Uplink code at all, so Introversion has no say in anything.
I don't know how far Intellectual Property rights go, but I would assume that you'd need some confirmation you could release it as it's still based on the original game? Maybe it's so far removed it doesn't need to be though.

PostPosted:Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:26 pm 
Organ Donor

Quote:
I don't know how far Intellectual Property rights go, but I would assume that you'd need some confirmation you could release it as it's still based on the original game? Maybe it's so far removed it doesn't need to be though.
Based on what they've said about it, it sounds like the only similarity to Uplink is that it's a game about hacking where you connect to other computers. Introversion didn't exactly come up with that idea so I think it'll be pretty safe.