Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:My thought on Onlink 0.1.2
    PostPosted:Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:29 am 

I've played Onlink 0.1.2 quite a lot in the last 2 days and I must say, it's just not the same as Uplink.

Uplink was a rather... puzzle solving experience. First you had to learn the basic, baby step your way on basic systems, on basic missions, your first hack on the academic database, first encounter with proxy, first encounter with cypher, firewall, voice, getting arrested a dozen of times, learning how game rules interacted with each others, learning to cover your tracks, first successful trace mission, first mainframe, the console, first crashed system, getting sucked into the storyline, first encounter with LAN, finishing the game once, robbing your first bank, hunting the secrets... it was about discovery, doing mistakes, learning from them, and figuring out how to accomplish whatever you wanted to accomplish. This is where the fun was in Uplink.

I loved Onlink 0.1.1, it was more challenging, but it was still fun. But after playing 0.1.2 for two days non stop, it did not feel like a puzzle solving experience for me, nor was it any fun, 0.1.2 was all about grinding. As soon you're done with the basic Steal/Delete File, Academic/Social/Criminal Database, the difficulty curve goes to the roof and you suddenly got to invest in better hardware, bypasser tools, LAN tools and PC Force, staying one step ahead in the disablers race, and this all at the same time. As a result, I find myself fast forwarding time and grinding money on the basic missions just so I can afford the software and hardware required just to be able to play the harder mission... maybe it's just me but that's just not right.

In Uplink, dying was fun. The first day my friend and I played Uplink, we got arrested no less than 6 times, and we kept restarting the game from scratch, because it was so friggin' fun. Dying was part of the experience, part of the learning process, and getting back to wherever you were before you were arrested didn't take longer than 1 hour early in the game, 2 hours later in the game. In 0.1.2, dying is the worst sh*t ever, a free ticket for the "Grind all your crap and money back" 4+ hours long ride. And since the premise of Onlink was to add new security to crack, new servers to explores, new problems and puzzles to solve... Just how are you going to deal with the whole trial and error gameplay aspect when error in Onlink is clearly punished?

I have absolutely no idea where you're going with Cerberus, but if you're heading in the same direction Onlink 0.1.2 was heading, I hope you'll lower the price for softwares, or fix the difficulty curve by adding intermediate missions, or have the LANs and systems protected by gateways arrive much later in the game, or change the difficulty so it stop being so much about grinding money and get back to the puzzle solving kind of difficulty... Because quite honestly, when I'll press the "post" button, I'll go back in 0.1.2 and use the cheat menu because I'm tired to waste hours running after money just so I can get to the fun part of the game, where I stumble my way around my first PC force mission, get inside my first personal computer, and hunt the new secrets.

My 2 cents.

Post subject:Re: My thought on Onlink 0.1.2
    PostPosted:Wed May 05, 2010 11:28 am 

Well, I'll try to put this as simple as possible, hope Miah doesn't kill me for this...

It's not supposed to be that hard. Try hacking some bank accounts and stealing money, that IS part of the gameplay in onlink

PostPosted:Wed May 05, 2010 6:22 pm 

AOL:VaiusArkollos
    Quote:
    It's not supposed to be that hard. Try hacking some bank accounts and stealing money, that IS part of the gameplay in onlink
    Hmm, I always thought that was normal in Uplink too.

PostPosted:Thu May 06, 2010 11:39 am 

AOL:superactor001
    Location:Everywhere and nowhere... But also right behind you and watching you in your sleep >.>
    does anyone know what was censored?

attempting to input customized user information
    upload failure, connection loss
    system console session terminated

PostPosted:Thu May 06, 2010 1:30 pm 

Quote:
    does anyone know what was censored?
    ...You highlight it to read it.

PostPosted:Thu May 06, 2010 1:47 pm 

It's definately harder than Uplink, but that's because 90% of the player base for Onlink are seasoned Uplink vets. It seems to be more about getting to the juicy bits and forcing players to compromise on hardware/software unless they want to grind.

Plus, there's new security and such along with new storylines, it's just not all there yet.

PostPosted:Tue May 11, 2010 9:41 am 

AOL:superactor001
    Location:Everywhere and nowhere... But also right behind you and watching you in your sleep >.>
    thats nice to know. i'm kind of happy that miah is looking out for us by making it harder and harder. notice the vsec? soooooooooooo hard.

attempting to input customized user information
    upload failure, connection loss
    system console session terminated

PostPosted:Thu May 13, 2010 5:14 am 

Quote:
    thats nice to know. i'm kind of happy that miah is looking out for us by making it harder and harder. notice the vsec? soooooooooooo hard.

Thing is, it isn't that hard. The issue with it is that some of it is bugged.

PostPosted:Fri May 14, 2010 1:46 am 
    Literally Nine

Actually I don't think VSEC is bugged at all anymore. Other things, yes.

PostPosted:Fri May 14, 2010 6:36 am 

Oops. My bad.

Well, if it's fixed, VSEC one I gave you the damn algorithm solution.

VSEC two isn't that hard, either.

VSEC three? ... *gibbers in corner*

PostPosted:Thu May 20, 2010 1:40 am 
    Literally Nine

Has anyone even figured out the method behind VSEC3 yet?

PostPosted:Thu May 20, 2010 3:02 pm 

Not to my knowledge... >v> I got methods for all the others.

PostPosted:Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:08 am 

Quote:
    Has anyone even figured out the method behind VSEC3 yet?
    I know there has been sacrifice, but I'm still trying to find out which demons you summoned to bring you this idea.

PostPosted:Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:49 am 

VSEC 3.0 - As with VSEC 1, wraparound lights-out in x moves, but with the extra condition of only being able to click UNLIT lights (except the last click).?

Is this the correct behaviour? I can confirm I have passed several VSEC3's with it. As posted elsewhere, however, since I hit my first VSEC3 on an ACS, I now cannot get through VSEC1 and 2 (I.E. those on gateways). Each time I try, the system locks me out after 1 click on a lit square (which used to be the way to solve them).

Just for info, Win XP, latest beta, fresh save file (I.E. from current beta).