Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Computer operating system based game please try out
    PostPosted:Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:30 pm 

WARNING: If you have downloaded version 1.5 or below you may have been unable to get this game running. This is because of the way I published it with visual basic 2010 and did not include the powerpacks.vb file. histacom 1.6 (once up will work on all computers running windows xp-windows 7 with the .net framework installed.

CURRENT VERSION: "Histacom 1.6: A Dangerous Future" See what effects the y2k can have on your time travel experience...

Histacom is a brand new game which is set in an operating system based environment. You start off in the year 1998 using windows 95. If you are smart enough you will be able to hack into a website and steal some time travel software allowing you to travel to different time periods. Remember early versions of time travel software may not take you where its suppost to take you. There are high chances of problems when it comes to the y2k (a global computer crysis in the year 2000)

If you change things in the past you will be changing the future which may result in horrific consequences.

Can you travel through time without stuffing up the future and creating paradox's. Test your skills with this game.

This game has been uploaded to http://histacom.freeforums.org/ so please go there to the download section and download it. I will no longer use these forums to comunicate so please if you have anything to say go to http://histacom.freeforums.org/ and say it there

please note that this is the only place that the game is uploaded to and you can not get this game from anywhere else but http://histacom.freeforums.org/

Post subject:Re: Computer operating system based game please try out
    PostPosted:Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:49 am 

Hey, this game is actually turning out pretty good! :classy:
    The concept is gret, however it still needs a lot of polishment.

Not gonna point out minor bugs, since the game is still in such an early stage of development, but there's a major one: if you choose to travel back to 2000 instead of 2001, you have to beat a game before you travel again, right? "Survive the day".

Well, I'm pretty sure hiding in the closet is the only way to survive (since I tried EVERYTHING else), however it's not a valid option (it's one of he bugged ones you can't click), thus making completing the game impossible.

PostPosted:Tue May 31, 2011 11:12 pm 

Quote:
    This game has been uploaded to "h t t p : / / h i s t a c o m . f re e f o r u m s . o r g /" so please go there to the download section and download it. I will no longer use these forums to comunicate so please if you have anything to say go to(url) and say it there

please note that this is the only place that the game is uploaded to and you can not get this game from anywhere else but

The download site has gone down. please post another mirror.
    :evil:

PostPosted:Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:12 am 

Wow hi...

People actually ended up trying this game I made...

I ended up getting RSI while developing this so I gave up...

I am glad you like it but um... It's not Gunnar continue development unless someone here wants to continue it. I'll post a mirror again and if someone wants the code to continue making this I am more than happy to freely give it out... Latest histacom version was 1.8.5 so I'll leave a mirror for that and just hope I can find the code...

If anyone wants to make + sell this game I give full permission...

My idea was to eventually have the player try to fix up history jumping back and forth at will trying to make windows dominate the operating system market and not let "the hidden hacker" from the future (2015ish) travel back to the 1980's (yes you were at one point in the game going to travel to the dos days and fight hidden hacker there) to prevent him making his own os which allowed him in 2015 to take over the world through mind control.

The idea is hidden hacker seems friendly at first (1998-2004) but slowly becomes currupted with power throughout the game due to time travel ability...

Anyway if you want to continue developing this game I will give you the code which was actually my first ever visual basic project... So it's not coded very efficiently and will probably just be better remade from scratch...

It's your choice if you want the code or not and if so I'll try to post it here

EDIT: I cant seem to edit my first post it keeps talking about off-site urls...

DOWNLOAD 1.8.5 HERE:
    h t t p : / / w w w . m e g a u p l o a d . c o m / ? d = G B 4 9 1 C 1 Q

TO INSTALL OPEN Histacom.application

Thanks,

12padams

Last edited by 12padams on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:28 am 

I think the idea behind this game is great, and I really wish I had the time - and skills - to continue its development. But oh yeah, do post the source code - you can never trust upload servers much, so I'll keep the files on my flash drive. That way, should anyone reply to the post someday willing to continue your work, I'll have the files. :classy:

PostPosted:Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:27 am 

Well ok heres the code:

Code REMOVED DEVELOPER FOUND

There are however some things you need to know...

For new people... To get the game going into the story line try Google search something...

This requires visual basic 2010 (Free Download) to continue coding...

Also I actually originally started this project as a virtual windows 95 emulator. This is why the project itself is called "windows 95". This is also why windows 95 has a lot of the actual default programs working when you open the start menu... yet none of the other operating systems do...

Last of all it was my first ever attempt at programming something at all (A big first project) so there are no code comments and also its not coded very neatly or efficiently however is easy to code if you have the time to understand how it works...

I wish anyone the best of luck who wishes to continue this...
    Remember feel free to use it for commercial purposes and continue coding it to completion and sell it if you wish.

To start coding download the file and open up windows95.sln (Solution file) then open the forms (forms can be operating systems or programs) and then you are ready to code...

As far as I remember in 2001 (in game) I did not finish coding survive the day (reason for non working options) but i did code the thing after that where 12padams asks you for a password (given at the end of survive the day). The password from memory is "star" I coded the exit sequence but not the arrival to the new time period.

Its easy to code a arival as you just make the old form hide and the new one show (the forms are the time periods) e.g.
    windows xp.hide
    windows vista.show
    You just gotta put in some cool effects such as flashing between to show time travel.

Also an early test version i started making of vista can be accessed in game by typing "vistatest" in the load game screen. It includes the background of vista and a partly created (mix of xp and vista window)

Good Luck

12padams

Last edited by 12padams on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:06 pm 

Ok, I'm downloading this to keep it to posterity. Hope anyone wishes to pick this up, or that I have the time to do it someday. I think this was a great project. See you around, brother! :classy:

PostPosted:Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:52 am 

Awesome concept!

PostPosted:Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:58 pm 

h t t p : / / w w w . h a c k f o r u m s . n e t/showthread.php?tid=1892677

game developer found... please don't give anyone the code!!!!

PostPosted:Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:42 pm 

Quote:
    h t t p : / / w w w . h a c k f o r u m s . n e t/showthread.php?tid=1892677

game developer found... please don't give anyone the code!!!!
    Okays chief, gonna keep it in case this guy trips and falls into a volcano or anything, but I won't share it