Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Cannot play Onlink
PostPosted:Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:13 pm 

So i've attempted several times now to play onlink, through various methods, with no success.

In short:
1.I have uplink(although i later found out this was not required)
2.I've tried using the auto updater(first 1.01 and then 1.05) with roughly the following results
A.Previous version: I get the game, i load the game, i go through and then get asked for the verification code. I got my version of uplink through a download so i don't have said code. From what reading i've done it seems this was fixed, but running the updater again doesn't allow me to update to the current or beta version.
B. Current version: Cannot load tarball error or something along those lines while attempting to download. Download never even finishes let alone instal.
C. Beta: Download finishes, I run the game, I get a "this application has failed to start because it is configured incorrectly error"

So then, i've read around the forums a bit, discovered the various things going on with development, but i can't seem to find exactly what i'm doing wrong, or what i should do to fix this.

I'm running a 32bit Win XP system and i get more details if that's likely to be the problem, but i feel like i'm just missing something.

Post subject:Re: Cannot play Onlink
PostPosted:Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:44 pm 
Connoisseur of the Godawful

Yahoo Messenger:alistair_lynn
AOL:Agent_Vast@mac.com
I don't actually know the answer! But, uh, do I know you?

PostPosted:Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:57 pm 

Probably. But i could be someone else.

Hint: yes.

PostPosted:Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:16 pm 
Literally Nine

Quote:
C. Beta: Download finishes, I run the game, I get a "this application has failed to start because it is configured incorrectly error"
Install the Visual C++ 2005 and Visual C++ 2008 runtimes (the former is probably the only one necessary).

PostPosted:Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:14 pm 

Right on both accounts. For some reason i thought i had already installed that to get something else running. Oh well. Either way great job on the mod. Looks great, although it does seem to have the habit of pausing for various amounts of time randomly. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted:Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:08 pm 
Connoisseur of the Godawful

Yahoo Messenger:alistair_lynn
AOL:Agent_Vast@mac.com
Known bug with XP.

...why aren't you on a Mac?

PostPosted:Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:24 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Quote:
...why aren't you on a Mac?
Because I've been on Win7.

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:43 am 

Try turning the autosave off. Just don't forget to click the Save button that will appear below the Exit button quite often! :classy:

PostPosted:Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:25 pm 

Yeah i found the solution a few seconds after posting that. And as for my non macness the simple answer is i have access to several computers depending on where i am. As of right now i'm on the PC, but i plan on getting this going on the mac later.

Edit: having played farther i've come across a few small questions. I finally pulled a few bank hacks so i have cash to burn and got the all rounder of the top 3(name escapes me at the moment...8 processor slots) .

I just figured out how to get the best chips, but i have no idea how to, or if i can, install the ice kami and frozen hell systems. It just says it won't fit in my gateway. Am i missing something or do these systems only work with certain gateways?

Also from what i've gathered the wiki got moved and is thus out of date...so i've read most of the in game stuff, but i haven't found much on how to PC hack, how to use denial, and just in general whats new. I'm impressed by the mod's scope but reading just a little of whats on the forums i've figured that there's quite a lot i'm going to need to find, figure out, and catch up on. Is there anywhere where all of the info on how to do some of this is still together.

Edit 2:
Sigh....learning how to PC hack on the first mission = bad/disavowed. Oh well. time to start attempt number 8.

PostPosted:Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:34 am 

Hey, I ran the installer which got me the error, after finding this and installing both frameworks, I'm still getting an error. Any ideas? I am running windows xp 32 bit.

Edit: I've uninstalled and reinstalled both the 2005/2008, and also the game to make sure it wasn't not recognizing that one had been installed.

PostPosted:Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:46 pm 

Bump.

So somehow out of the blue onlink just decided to work on my brothers(zen) computer and it seems to be a hell of a lot more stable than on mine so i've started playing again. However i've hit a bit of a snag and after 2 days i still cant seem to figure out what it is i need to do and was hoping i could get a hint.

I'm starting the story mission(hack miah's computer) and i need the ferrous DNS. Naturally i just hack the internal services machine, get the link, and go from there. In fact i know i somehow managed to do that in the past because i distinctly remember failing because i went too far hacking miah's computer. For some reason this time i can't seem to figure out how though.

When i log onto the internal service machine everything from trace trackers to hardware shutdowns and will not start so long as i'm connected. I assume this is some kind of security but i have no idea what i'm supposed to do about it. I've tried denying everything listed for ferrous by internic(all the access terminals and the public server) to no avail. I'm assuming it has something to do with the access terminals since i cannot remember what they do at all and so far my only interaction with them has been to deny them. The only thing i haven't done yet is comb through the 3 major DNS's for miah but that's because i'm pretty sure that's not the correct answer.

In short a hint or something to get me back on the right track would be much appreciated. Again awesome job on the mod/game.

PostPosted:Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:16 pm 

Dunno if you're on the right path or not, but have you tried checking out Gateway systems or the FM LAN?

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:19 pm 

Quote:
Dunno if you're on the right path or not, but have you tried checking out Gateway systems or the FM LAN?

-- Griffinhart
Not sure how to find either. I guess the other large problem is that the only ferrous moon links i have are the public server, which just gives the phone links, the access terminals, which do nothing, and the internal service machine, which i can't hack.

I can't think of anyway to get to a list of links that wouldn't be listed in internic since the only one i can think of is inside the machine i can't hack.

PostPosted:Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:19 pm 

When you say you "can't hack", do you mean you can't even gain access to the ISM?

In that case, are you bypassing/disabling all the security measures on the ISM (Monitor, Firewall, Proxy, Bandwith Monitor, Sentry, and Encryption)?

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:44 am 

I can't even do that. If i try to run ANYTHING it says it cannot be run and that i should contact a system administrator.

So if i attempt to run or am running a bypass, disable, killer, cracker, trace tracker, file copier, hardware motion sensor, etc... when i connect to the ferrous moon internal service machine it ALL turns off immediately and cannot be turned back on until i've disconnected from it. Attempting to turn it on gets that ingame message to pop up.

The only thing i've come across in what little data there is that might explain whats going on is the Acess Control system, but i've yet to encounter such a thing in any normal mission and don't recall having to bypass such a thing the last time i did this mission, nor do i have any idea how.

I dont think it's mentioned anywhere in game and the wiki has a very short entry on it basically saying yeah you can't denial it. I assume that i need to somehow take down the mainframe or something but i have no idea how to find or access that since i can't get past the password screen of the ISM becuase i can't even run the standard password breaker, and therefore can't get to the list of ferrous links.

Edit:

Ok im an idiot. I guess i didn't spell ferrous correctly when i was typing it into the internic DNS database so i assumed it wouldn't be listed there. So....yeah. Idiot. That said i still have no idea how to get past the various security mechanisms in place.

Either way i've gotten past the first set of missions and am now stuck on attempting to figure out how to access the ferrous LAN. I've found it but it says i can only get on by routing through the correct system(im assuming those access terminals) although i'm not sure how to figure out which one is the correct one. E