Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Frozen Hell and the Ice Kami
    PostPosted:Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:10 pm 
    Literally Nine

FinalWarrior and I were tonight trying to hash out a reasonable description based on the insanity/storm inside my head.

The following excerpt is slated to appear in the Uplink Labs Research Centre in a future build to describe exactly why Frozen Hell is actually better than liquid nitrogen. My question to the forum is if it makes sense to all of you. If not, what parts can be expanded on?

Also, this thread is going bye-bye when I'm satisfied with the description. Just a heads up.
    Quote:
    To fully explain the Frozen Hell cooling system, one must first understand how asynchronous (ASYNC) processors work and the properties of q-bits.

ASYNC processors contain a feature disabled by default: they come with a q-bit cache that allows for fast cache handling as well as cache capacity on the scale of gigaquads. However, this cache is only physically useable in conjunction with the Frozen hell cooling system.

The Ice Kami system, sold separately from Frozen Hell, is a centralized system that is the main controller for the cooling system. It is in essence a liquid helium bath surrounded by energy-absorbing solenoids. Outside of a specialized laboratory, the core of the Ice Kami is the closest to absolute zero that can occur.

The Frozen Hell system uses the Ice Kami for its cooling properties. While some of the heat absorption ability is lost in the transition phase of the integrated system, the temperature is sufficient for the Frozen Hell system to operate its primary purpose: freezing light.

Physically, the q-Bit cache protrudes from the ASYNC chip for this exact purpose. The cache itself is little more than a transparent silicate crystal which serves to hold frozen q-Bits in place until they are ready to be processed. This forces the use of a FIFO (first in first out) system. However, since the process of cache to core calculation is several magnitudes of order faster than RAM to core, this produces a hugely noticeably difference, even though most q-Bit information due to the FIFO system needs to be reposted to the queue.

This entire process at all times requires that the main temperature of the silicate crystal be at a temperature that is a fraction of a Kelvin. Because of this extreme cold, a secondary benefit applies to the ASYNC chip at large.

ASYNC chips are manufactured with purified materials to ensure maximum performance. This includes the use of expensive heavily doped germanium within its transistor logic gates as the main semiconductor. This processed semiconductor becomes superconductive at these low temperatures, causing an additional speedup. This results in a huge jump in transistor gate response before the processor heats up enough to lose its superconductive properties.

Post subject:Re: Frozen Hell and the Ice Kami
    PostPosted:Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:29 am 

As I understand it, Liquid Nitrogen Manager and Liquid Nitrogen cooling gives a 60% boost in speed. Ice Kami and Frozen Hell provide 95% boost.

I'm pretty sure that's sufficient information for most people :)

PostPosted:Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:24 am 

where did you get the percentages from?

The basics and meaning are pretty clear I guess. I would just adjust the fiction a little:
    A fraction of a Kelvin, closest to absolute zero ... that's not necessary even today to get superconductive. Freezing light? That was managed 2000 already. No need for supercool environments close to absolute zero. All you need is matter to slow light down to the speed of a bicycle which they managed in 1999. 2000 they even managed to stop light in an atomic clowd and let it continue at will.
    -> M. Bajcsy et al., Stationary pulses of light in an atomic medium, Nature 426, 638 (2003).
    http://www.nature.com/doifinder/10.1038/nature02176
    http://xxx.arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0311092

Very interesting for Quantum computing. I think that's what you're aiming at. Cool! I like that.
    Quantum, light and DNA computing. 8)
    Nice play on words: q-bit (qubits in quantum computing).
    It also fits very nicely with the idea of giga-quads (Gqs) used in Uplink/Onlink as opposed to bits with supposably 4 stages (the DNA is 4 base as a link to genetic computing; and the qubits of quantum computing with their infinit number of stages would be first used in a two-state quantum system and later maybe 4 and increasing ...)

OK, again, that's just me. I would as mentioned adjust the fiction a little to let's say not so damn cold. :wink:
    liquid oxygen @ 90 K
    liquid nitrogen @ 77.4 K (cooling problem due to Leidenfrost effect)
    liquid hydrogen @ 20,4 K
    liquid helium @ 4,2 K (helium doesn't freeze at normal pressure at absolute zero; it has the effect of super-fluidity)
    coldest natural temperatur (in deep space outside planets and stars) @ 3 K
    coldest reached temperature (2000 guiness book of records) @ 280 pK (1piko Kelvin = 10^-12 K) = 0,000000000280 K

High-temperature-superconducters (HTS) range up to 138 K nowadays.

I would adjust the necessary cooling temperature somewhere below 35 K, still using helium because it's such a god damn cool liquid with it's super-fluidity. Hydrogen doesn't act as a superfluid but deuterium does.
    Do you realize how close the timeline of Uplink/Onlink (year 2010) is already? :mrgreen:

Last edited by ghost_sypher on Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:07 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted:Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:46 am 

I got the percentages from the item description ingame, at the Uplink Labs Research Centre.

PostPosted:Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:20 pm 

I took the same things from your description that sypher did. I remember reading articles a while ago about a university research department doing work on superconductors around absolute zero, and I've heard about quantum computing from a couple of different sources.

I have limited retention of actual technical details of those two topics, but your description made sense to me.

PostPosted:Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:34 am 

Hey Miah, som'in' for you.
    And for all the others interested in the future of computer sciences.

New achievements at the front of quantum computing by a team of researchers at the University of California in Santa Barbara:
    http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/a ... 5/5941/722

and whoever understands German (thought Miah does a bit):
    http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/30/30882/1.html

Haven't found an English version of that text yet and translators are just ... well, let's say weird with sentences.

!!! the interesting thing in short is the aspect of practicability:
    they use a superconductive oscillating circuit for the experiment.
    This is spectacular proof that the oscillating circuit is able to simulate other quantum mechanical systems. With this procedure microcosmic events are transferred to macrocosm. A Quantum computer based on this techniques would be easier realisable.
    Such a superconductive oscillating circuit can be produced with lithography and the quantum transitions would be controllable via voltage and current.

PostPosted:Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:02 pm 

Quote:
    Do you realize how close the timeline of Uplink/Onlink (year 2010) is already? :mrgreen:

In fact, Onlink is on year 2020, the clock has been changed! :classy:

Very nice description there, Miah! I would like to make a point, Iwould research more about it if I had the time, which I currently don't, sorry about that.

You know about the two german allotropic forms, alfa and beta, right? I know Beta is dastardly hard, so it would be absurdly cool if processors using it were better, but I don't know if that happens or not...

PostPosted:Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:21 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:woganmay
    I'm just wondering about the power requirements there ...

edit: I'm also seeing 4 distinct generations of mainboard here... hmm ...