Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Getting Revelation 0.7 = screwed?
    PostPosted:Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:14 pm 

Okay, if it never has been possible to get Revelation 0.7 (or whatever it is, the thingy that's mentioned in the logs in ARC Central Mainframe anyways), ignore this post and call me dumb. If it has been, read on.

So, I installed Onlink some time ago and played Uplink (and Onlink, for that matter) for the first time for a long time, so ofc. I couldn't remember everything that was in the game.

Anyways, when I got the message from the dead agent, I hacked my way to the ARC Central Mainframe (took me some time to figure why did it say "Host is not responding" when I clicked on "Proceed :/) and took a look at the logs. There were four logs, and none of them changed when I tried to use the log undeleter on them. Well, I ignored the one that said unknown (and something), and checked out what the three others were. One of them led to Uplink bank, one led to a voice phone and the last led to someone's PC

Well, obviously I couldn't do anything with the one which led to a voice phone, neither could I do anything with the one which led to the Uplink bank, since it's impossible to hack it 'cause it requires the voice thingy, and there's no administrator listed, so I hacked the PC, and what did I find? No files, and a whole bunch of logs which were either mine or just accessing files from random IP addresses, which didn't change when I tried to use the log undeleter.

Well, I thought it was just bad luck, since maybe the "real" (IIRC only one of those which were found at the ARC central mainframe actually led somewhere) one was the one which led to Uplink bank.

Ok, so I "finished" that game on Arunmor's side, and created another account. Again I busted my way to ARC central mainframe when I got the message, and as supposed to be there were three logs which said something about Revelation (+ the one with "unknown" ip) and which didn't change when I tried to use the log undeleter. The first one led to an access terminal, the second to a voice phone and I can't remember where the third one led, but probably it was somewhere where I couldn't find any logs since I ignored it.

Well, I was getting desperate and tried to find the voice phone's owner's PC, and, surprisingly enough, found it. Again there were no files in it and the logs were either mine or just a bunch of random "access file"s on which I used the log undeleter with no result.

So am I just having bad luck or am I doing something wrong or should it be impossible to find the Revelation 0.7? I just had a hunch that I managed to find it while I played the original Uplink :s

Oh, and yes, I used the log undeleter on all logs I found at the ARC central mainframe to no avail. And yes, all security systems were disabled, so they couldn't interfere with the "undeleting".

EDIT: The point I'm trying to make is, that I think getting Revelation was possible in the original Uplink but no longer in Onlink... or at least I think so

EDIT2: Nevermind, I managed to find the file after all, only to find out it's useless :-/