Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Hello :)
PostPosted:Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:47 am 

Hello :)
Damm good ( pardon my "french" as americans would say ) be back on this site again ^_^

The main reason for this post is:
* Uplink / Onlink source, what language is it written in?
* Possible to find / get / buy source code for Uplink and / or Onlink?
* What is a good language to programm in? ( have a litte VB experience, couple off allnighters just reading / whatching tutorials and trying stuff out )
* Good tutorial sites? ( every page I have used is either down or not come back up =( )
* I have the DevCd. A friend of mine sold it to me. He got tired of the game ( cough cough Girlfriend cough cough ) and I got both Uplink and the DevCD ^^

Post subject:Re: Hello :)
PostPosted:Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:14 am 
Literally Nine

Uplink and Onlink are written in C++.

You can buy the DevCD from here. But if you already have it, why would you want to purchase it?

I recommend C and C++ for programming. VB is what I started in too, but I've since moved on.

What sorts of tutorials are you looking for? Programming?

PostPosted:Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:20 am 

Yahoo Messenger:sfericz
*The Uplink Source is written in C++

*If you have the DevCD than you know it can be bought, right?

*Im going to keep my mouth shut on that one, im new here and i've already read some posts on which language to use and saw how (debat - able ??) everyone can get. :)

*Tutorial sites for? If your looking for programming tutorials, then try Google.com and search C++ tutorial or VB tutorial etc... If your just looking for source code to LEarn from, then try planetsourcecode.com

*Refer to second *

Or post a spefic question in the programming section here ( if that is what the question pertain's too) and someone might can help you if they can.

Welcome to the forums im new here too soo pray they dont kick us out too soon eh? 8)

**edited: dam Tycho your fast man, didnt see you post till i summited this one...How do you delete posts? My Del button is grayed out.

PostPosted:Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:25 am 

Tycho:
yeah programming mainly. Learn how to write codes, look for errors and such.
I kinda stopped with VB whene I reached a tutorial on how to make a spimple chat server and client. I couldnt get it work even whene I followed the examples..
I ahve been told that VB is very smart to start with beacuse it learns the basic method of writing codes and such.

cOde.ZRY: tnx for the link :) I will check it out whene I get home later today. Just got ot ask, is it easier to learn from a pre-made code or by writing one of my own ?
yeah lets hope so that we dont get kicked... hehe ^_^

* Tnx for the link for buying the DevCd. Always nice to know where It can be bought If I loose mine :)

Edit: What kind of software do you guys use? I googled a little and came over this site : http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/
Any experience with theese products?

PostPosted:Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:41 am 

Yahoo Messenger:sfericz
Quote:
is it easier to learn from a pre-made code or by writing one of my own ?
It depends, read everything you can on the basic commands of the language. Then write your own..something...then if you need an example, opensource is a good way to fix a writers cramp.

But to learn the overall code it is best to read tutorials found on google or any programming website or books found at your local libary. C++ is scary when you just start it from leaving VB, C++ is pure code. But that is the best way to approach any performance issues is by having everything already broken down to the easiest language the computer can read.

Off topic but...that is why I hate Window's O/S's the most. Everything is a preset command waiting to be keyed up. Too much confusion on the computer. I wish I had the balls to jump to a version of Linux or unix O/S's.
Quote:
Edit: What kind of software do you guys use? I googled a little and came over this site : http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/
Any experience with theese products?
Yes, I use to use Vb 6 and dabbled with C++ 6 back in the day, but Techo suggested I use Visual Studio Express 2008, you should find it on link you posted. I just compiled (well partly) the DevCD using Express 2008, so....so far I can say give it a try.

PostPosted:Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:58 am 

kool :)
tnx for the info :)

yeah I know what you mean by Windows -.-
Am thinking of installing linux on my Dell Inspiron 1300 labtop just so that I have a computer with linux on it..
Have before tried a little linux, but have had some problems tough...
Libraries is one of the things.

if you need a good linux forum : linuxquestions.org is very helpfull :)

and I have asked a friend of mine ( IRL ) if he have had some experience with programming.. He mentioned VB and some C++
He just told me what I have been told before. That VB is easier to learn the syntax of the code writing...

PostPosted:Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:05 pm 

After reading over each of the posts, I have yet to see any response as to what tutorials are available. For C++, I strongly recommend http://learncpp.com/. I learned my C++ there, and I have to say, I've tried many other sites and books, and learncpp is the best so far.

Still haven't finished the tutorials yet though. :P

As for VB tutorials, I don't know of any, and I never focused on VB, just went straight to C/C++.

Yeah.

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

PostPosted:Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:51 pm 

In addition to what ERing has posted, I am currently using http://learncpp.com/ to learn C/C++ programming along with other books/sites.

PostPosted:Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:04 am 
External Project Staff

my advice is, when you start programming, don't start with C(++), pick an easier language.

I started with TI-Basic (which is really simple compared to other languages), and after that tried some PHP (which is still my main coding language today).

PostPosted:Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:32 am 
Organ Donor

Quote:
my advice is, when you start programming, don't start with C(++), pick an easier language.
Just not Java.

Pleasantville by Night, a humorous horror web RPG

PostPosted:Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:29 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
That's odd, because my first experience with programming was C++. I loved it. It was relatively easy to comprehend.

Now I work in Java. And I despise the language. Not because it's hard or anything, I just have this inexplicable hate for Java (as a programming language).

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:24 pm 
External Project Staff

Quote:
That's odd, because my first experience with programming was C++. I loved it. It was relatively easy to comprehend.
Was that including or excluding: memory pointers, references, memory management, function pointers, multiple inheritance, polymorphism, and things like x == i[x]

PostPosted:Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:53 pm 

Oh boy, here come the language wars. :P

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

PostPosted:Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:11 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Quote:
Quote:
Was that including or excluding: memory pointers, references, memory management, function pointers, multiple inheritance, polymorphism, and things like x == i[x]

We got to references in second semester, but I wasn't in the class for that part. Okay, I was, but wasn't. Due to scheduling conflicts, I couldn't take the class, so my programming teacher awesomely volunteered to "teach" me during seventh period (basically, have a new seventh period class created solely for me wherein she gave me whatever notes and stuff the rest of the programming class had done that day) while the teacher of the class I was in (which was right next door) let me use a computer to do my programming work in. My programming teacher would give my seventh period teacher my grades and those would be entered.

So basically, I didn't actually learn as much as I'd've liked to. I got many of the basics of second semester (references and file input/output/reading), but not the deeper stuff. My programming teacher was kind enough to excuse me from taking the final exam for that class.

But yeah, none of that other stuff.

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:17 am 
External Project Staff

Exactly my point, the "basics" of C++ are relatively simple. However the more "advanced" stuff isn't. Problem is, without those things, you can't actually code anything more than tutorial-level programs. And just tutorial-level programs get boring quickly, thats why I say start with a simpler language, you can pull off more of the cool stuff, get more experienced with coding in general, and then come back to C++.