Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Can not get support from Introversion. How about here?
PostPosted:Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:00 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:sfericz
Let me just start off by saying, hello...and hopefully i will be active in this forum daily. I have just recently returned to the 'online world' from 4 yrs of being away. (no not prison :lol: ) and I have come back to this great addition to my fav. game, uplink. I've played through just a small amount of the 'onlink' version and I am very pleased.

Ok that said, I beg of you not to take this plea for help as a type of spam, I own the devCD for Introversion's uplink, bought from their site when it first came out, i have all the files that i burnt to a cd of all the uplink files i collected back then, But the problem is, i can not find my paypal, or world code that was given to me nor my old account details, but i have legal image copy of the devCD.

I would be on the fourms on uplink's site as well, but it seems i dont even get a activation link sent to my email to verify the account.....my secondary problem is that Mr. Delay and the other mod's to the fourm are not returning my emails, and hasn't been for 4 months. I thought buying the Anthology set of the two new ones and uplink would get there attentio
n,(did so) but still nothing from no one.....
Ok now with that said :roll: my main problem, is that i can not compile the uplink project in my visual studio 6, i have followed all the steps, and have downloaded the patch file, that fixes the bug with the lib files, and also changed all need folder paths for the game and vs6 to find, and have taken out the glu32 and openGL files and reinserted them from my VS6 Lib's installed folder, and also i have installed the devSource correctly(to the main uplink.exe dir) but when i goto compile it seems every file it trys to compiles, gives differnt file not found errors,or gives a 'known capabilty problems' error and doesnt compile anything, im running vista, and this is the first project i worked on with vista....... All i want, is to make a small mod, and see if some of the team here will look at it, and maybe see me as an useable addition to the dev team here.

I am so sorry this post is so long , dramitic, and misspelled. Thank you again for anyone that can help.

PS: Kudo's to Tycho, for answering my first pm sent here, in less than 15mins after I joined this site. (Way to make me feel welcomed, Thanks!)

Last edited by cOde.ZRY on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:Re: Can not get support from Introversion. How about here?
PostPosted:Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:15 am 
Literally Nine

Introversion was terrible about replying to any sort of contact (email, Skype, phone) even when I was employed by them. So you aren't alone.

I think I understand what's going on. Visual C++ 6 doesn't run properly on Windows Vista unless you first disable User Account Control (UAC). You can either upgrade to Visual C++ 2008 Express (free) or Visual Studio 2008 Professional (big $$), or better yet, disable the User Account Control crap. Go to Control Panel, User Accounts. Eventually you'll find a link mentioning "User Account Control settings". Click that and disable UAC (I think you just have to check or uncheck a box). Once done, restart your machine. Hopefully those errors will go away.

If you run into compile errors, let us know and we'll try to help you with that too.

PostPosted:Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:27 am 

I have been up most of the night on google, searching that exact problem. I installed VS 6 when i had UAC enabled, it gave me a warning about capabilty, but I contiued. Since then i have ran with UAC off, and full acess to everything for my only account. I tried re-installing VS-6 but to come up with the same capabilty error, thus is where im at now, and saw your reply.

Should i continue the installation, and only focus of C++ its self and no others? Is there some registery key i must edit to make windows stop looking for capability?

Thanks again for ya'lls quick replies. Its good to see an Uplink community as active as this one.

**Edit** If i download, and convert to express 08, will it be easy to adapt too? My primary use for c++ is to use my DevCD and possibly Onlink's source, if its available for purchase. **Edit**

PostPosted:Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:25 am 
Literally Nine

I would use Visual C++ 2008 Express. It's a free compiler. And you'll also need the Windows SDK, too, because windows.h isn't included with Visual Studio Express builds.

PostPosted:Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:28 am 

Quote:
I would use Visual C++ 2008 Express. It's a free compiler. And you'll also need the Windows SDK, too, because windows.h isn't included with Visual Studio Express builds.
Would that be why im getting this error when i try to compile?
( I just downloaded 08 express, but not the sdk pack yet, heres part of the compile error)

1>------ Build started: Project: bungle, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Compiling...
2>------ Build started: Project: vanbakel, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
2>Compiling...
2>interface.cpp
1>bungle.cpp
1>c:\users\truth\desktop\uplink\lib\tosser\tosser.h(12) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'iostream.h': No such file or directory
1>Build log was saved at "file://C:\Users\truth\Desktop\Uplink\lib\bungle\win32\BuildLog.htm"
1>bungle - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

PostPosted:Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:32 am 
Literally Nine

No, actually.

iostream.h was a deprecated header that has since been removed. To resolve the problem, you'll have to do some widespread editing.

Replace:
Code:
#include <iostream.h>
With:
Code:
#include <iostream>
And after all the #include directives in those files affected, you will need to do add the following line:
Code:
using namespace std;

PostPosted:Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:36 am 

Great! I'm downloading the SDK now, while thats doing i will start hacking all the .h files and the #include sections. You just might have helped fix a four month problem for me.

Can i make a suggestion to move this post to the programming section? Didn't stop and think before i posted this.

PostPosted:Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:45 am 
Literally Nine

Good point. It'll be moved.

PostPosted:Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:17 am 

ok let me show you with my example to make sure i will be spending the better part of the morning doing something right.

i need to change this
Code:
#include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> #include "gucci.h" #include "app/app.h" #include "app/globals.h" #include "game/data/data.h"
to this
Code:
#include <stdio> #include <stdlib> #include <string> #include "gucci" #include "app/app" #include "app/globals" #include "game/data/data" using namespace std; #continue on with your const's...
?
Please forgive me im out dated since 03, just now re-adapting to my ole civilan lifestyle 8)

PostPosted:Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:35 am 
Literally Nine

No. The only headers which need the '.h' suffix removed are iostream, fstream, and pretty much any other stream.

stdio.h, stdlib.h, and string.h are all perfectly valid C headers.

So for example... You'd change this:
Code:
#include <iostream.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <conio.h>
To this:
Code:
#include <iostream> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <conio.h> using namespace std;

PostPosted:Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:11 pm 

Wow, ok thanks ( holds in Ctrl Z for and hour ) . Ok i will be back after i change those, to let everyone know how the newB did :-\

PostPosted:Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:57 pm 

(Sorry for double posting)

Let me say first, i miss spoke and said compile, I am trying to build the project for the first time.

I fixed every stream.h (<iostream>, <fstream> and <strstream>) entry in all projects, and included the using namespace std; line at the end of all the include's to each form i changed. I build some, but still alot of errors my ending result was
Code:
9>BSCMAKE: error BK1506 : cannot open file '.\obj\win32\game.sbr': No such file or directory 9>Build log was saved at "file://C:\Users\truth\Desktop\Uplink\source\obj\win32\BuildLog.htm" 9>Uplink - 199 error(s), 2 warning(s) ========== Build: 6 succeeded, 3 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
Should I add the namespace std; line at the end of the includes in every form? Or just the ones I edited out the .h in the stream's?

I have the compile loged saved in a text. If yall dont feel like helping me anymore, its ok i understand ya'll have proably have done this alot of times with new C++ coders, and is getting old :lol:

PostPosted:Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:25 pm 
Literally Nine

There are 199 errors and you're only showing one of them. It'd be best if you show some of the first errors that show up.

PostPosted:Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:31 pm 

ok most of my problems are the same error
Code:
1>.\interface.cpp(39) : warning C4305: 'argument' : truncation from 'double' to 'GLfloat'
or
Code:
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file '..\eclipse\eclipse.lib'
or
Code:
9>Compiling... 9>Computer.cpp 9>c:\users\truth\desktop\uplink\source\world\computer\computer.cpp(5) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'app/app.h': No such file or directory
i have those errors with most of the forms with the cannot open include file.

PostPosted:Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:44 am 
Literally Nine

The truncation one is a warning. It's not an error. You can ignore warnings. You're looking for compiler errors. You've listed a linker error which is the result of a compiler error but doesn't get us to the root of the issue.

As for the last one, that's a compiler error. It doesn't know where to find app/app.h. To fix this, go to the project properties. Under C/C++, go to General. It should have an 'additonal include paths' option. The paths are semicolon delimited, so keep whatever's there and then add '.' to the list (no quotes. just the period.)