Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:
PostPosted:Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:12 pm 
Literally Nine

Quote:
Hmm I could just be stupid but I can't seem to find Onlink's source anywhere. If you give me access to the source I can have a rudimentery multi threaded build out by tommorow.
Onlink's source isn't public, since it's based on Uplink, and Introversion has kept it closed source.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:26 pm 

If I buy a Dev CD could I be given a chance to create a multi-threaded build?

Post subject:
PostPosted:Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:45 pm 
Literally Nine

Quote:
If I buy a Dev CD could I be given a chance to create a multi-threaded build?
We'd consider it, certainly, but Onlink is already multithreaded a bit. You really have to know what to parallelize in order to actually do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:10 pm 

Hmm I haven't seen the code to Uplink so I can't say to much however, I'm guessing that dividing everything time related (emails,passive trace, missions, story line) could be one thread. Tell you what I just ordered a Dev CD and I'll get back to you with a multithreaded version of vanilla Uplink when I get back from vacation.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:47 pm 
Literally Nine

Meanwhile... Anyone want to take a stab at Challenge Two?

*stab*

Post subject:
PostPosted:Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:07 pm 
Sagely Amphibian

At Tycho request, remixed wikipedia code:
Quote:
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <time.h>

const int nMax = 14;
int row[nMax];
int n;
int s;

void putBoard()
{
printf( "\nSolution #%d:\n---------------------------------\n", s );
for ( int y = 0; y < n; printf("|\n---------------------------------\n" ), y++ )
for ( int x = 0; x < n; printf( x++ == row[y] ? "| Q " : "| " ) );
}

bool safe( int x, int y )
{
for ( int i = 1; i <= y; i++ )
if ( row[y - i] == x || row[y - i] == x - i || row[y - i] == x + i )
return false;
return true;
}

void nQueens( int y )
{
for ( int x = 0; x < n; x++ )
if ( safe( row[y - 1] = x, y - 1 ) )
if ( y < n )
nQueens( y + 1 );
else
{
s++;
//putBoard();
}
}

int main()
{
for ( n = 2; n <= nMax; n++ )
{
clock_t init = clock();

s = 0;
nQueens( 1 );

clock_t final = clock();

printf( "%10d # of solutions for %d x %d = %d\n", (int)( (final - init) * 1000 / CLOCKS_PER_SEC ), n, n, s );
}

printf( "\nEnd\n" );
getchar();

return 0;
}

Last edited by frenchfrog on Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:50 pm 

I'm waiting for a challenge more at my level, (my very low level :D ). Plus I want to learn a little more C++... speaking of which did anyone take a look at my post in General?

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

Post subject:
PostPosted:Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:21 pm 
Literally Nine

Quote:
I'm waiting for a challenge more at my level, (my very low level :D ). Plus I want to learn a little more C++... speaking of which did anyone take a look at my post in General?
I suppose N queens is a bit too complex a problem for a game forum. I will keep N queens up for now, because anyone who can solve it and write a fast solution deserves to (or at least should be) to be a developer on Onlink.

I will also work on finding simpler problems that have large potential for optimization and improvement. The isPrime optimization challenge was fairly straightforward I think. Was it too challenging?

And I saw your post. Even replied. Just haven't been home all day.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:58 am 
Sagely Amphibian

cpu5594, feel free to optimize the code I posted above and make it yours :)

I can explain it line by line if you wish.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:57 pm 

Tycho: Yeah, it was a bit challenging, but this is coming from a newbie C++ coder.

frenchfrog: Thank you for the offer, and it would be nice if you could explain the code, I am looking at it and I think I get half of it, the other half is like a foriegn language.

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:32 am 

I initially found this task quite daunting, but it is actually somewhat straightforward once you find a good technique and get down to it. Today I hammered out a technique that will find distinct solutions correctly in a kind-of-reasonable timeframe. It did take some effort and some wrong techniques to figure it out, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:59 am 
Sagely Amphibian

Code:
#include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> // Needed for clock() (and related stuff), help in the calculation of the elapsed function time #include <time.h> // Maximum number of the Queens to test const int nMax = 14; // This array represent the rows of the N-Queens grid // Since there can only be one queen per row, it's in fact representing the queens positions // ex: If there is a queen in the 2nd row at the 5th position: row[1] == 4 (both rows and positions start at zero) int row[nMax]; // Current number of the Queens to test int n; // Number of solutions int s; void putBoard() { printf( "\nSolution #%d:\n---------------------------------\n", s ); for ( int y = 0; y < n; printf("|\n---------------------------------\n" ), y++ ) for ( int x = 0; x < n; printf( x++ == row[y] ? "| Q " : "| " ) ); } // Check if the added queen is in a safe location (not in vertical or diagonal line with an already placed queen) // int y == row of the new queen (y goes from 1 to n) // int x == position of the new queen on the y row (x goes from 0 to n - 1) bool safe( int x, int y ) { // Test the queens (rows) already placed for ( int i = 1; i <= y; i++ ) // Check that the new queen is not ( in vertical line || in right diagonal line || in left diagonal line ) // with the currently tested already placed queen if ( row[y - i] == x || row[y - i] == x - i || row[y - i] == x + i ) return false; return true; } // Recursive function (a function that call itself), get called for each new queen placement // int y == row to try to put a queen on void nQueens( int y ) { // Try each queen positions on current row for ( int x = 0; x < n; x++ ) // If the queen position is good if ( safe( row[y - 1] = x, y - 1 ) ) // If not the last row/queen if ( y < n ) // Try to put a queen on the next row nQueens( y + 1 ); // Else, last row/queen, we have a valid solution else { s++; //putBoard(); } // Ok, the function is over, but since it's recursive // it will go back to the row before this one // and continue to test queen positions // (Or return to the main if the row was the first one) } int main() { for ( n = 2; n <= nMax; n++ ) { clock_t init = clock(); // Put the number of solutions to zero s = 0; // Call queen placement with first row nQueens( 1 ); clock_t final = clock(); printf( "%10d # of solutions for %d x %d = %d\n", (int)( (final - init) * 1000 / CLOCKS_PER_SEC ), n, n, s ); } printf( "\nEnd\n" ); getchar(); return 0; }

Last edited by frenchfrog on Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:34 pm 

I'm back from vacation (I went to capecod nice place but I'm sunburned as hell.) Anyway I think I'm going to rewrite my algorithm to output in the manner Tycho wanted it.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:49 am 

French Frog, I was trying to run your code but for some reason I can't seem to get it to compile, I keep getting undeclared identifier errors for the clock. I'm sure I'm just being something stupid :oops: but could you try to help me out?

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:07 am 
Sagely Amphibian

Gwanky, which compiler do you use? (Here I use MS Visual Studio 2005 sp1)

Try putting the following lines at the start of the program:

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <time.h>

EDIT: I edited my above post to include this modification.