Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Help populate the Wiki
PostPosted:Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:23 am 
Literally Nine

Starting when 0.1.2 is released, I expect that many people may be a but overwhelmed and generally confused regarding how certain new systems operate.

I would like if some of our more outstanding players started an article over at our research section to give a general overview of Onlink and some generic support to how certain things work.

Try to avoid spoilers.

If anyone's good at Wiki formatting, I encourage polishing the page once stuff gets on there.

Last edited by Miah on Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:09 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Hmmm... I can post up stuffs, but since I have no Wiki formatting talent, I'll have to rely on someone else to do all that cool stuff for me.

In the meanwhile, here's the first entry I could think of... the security programs from 0.1.1Final! (Npte: I'm doing these off the top of my head, so excuse me (and correct me!) if I get anything wrong.)

B_Monitor: The Bandwith Monitor security programs, or B_Monitor for short (not to be confused with the Monitor security program, discussed later), presumably prevents users from overloading the bandwith of the protected system. In-game, this manifests itself by preventing Password Breaker from working properly: it will never discover the password for an account as long as B_Monitor is in effect. Disable it with either B_Monitor Disabler (of an appropriate or greater version) or B_Monitor Killer, or bypass the security program with B_Monitor Bypasser (of an appropriate or greater version; requires HUD_ViewConnectionAnalysis first).

Firewall: The Firewall security program prevents users from accessing, altering, or deleting (amongst other things) data, files, and/or programs on a protected system. In-game, the Firewall prevents users from doing anything inside a system until the Firewall is disabled or bypassed. Disable with Firewall Disabler (of an appropriate or greater version) or Firewall Killer, or bypass the security program with Firewall Bypasser (of an appropriate or greater version; requires HUD_ViewConnectionAnalysis first).

Monitor: The Monitor security program does not directly impede a user from accessing anything on a protected system. It does, however, alert the system's administrators and initiates an Active Trace on anyone that attempts to run harmful programming on the system; programs such as Password Breaker or any Disabler/Killer/Bypasser software. Monitor cannot be disabled, except through accessing the "Security" menu once a user has administrator access; it can be bypassed with Monitor Bypasser (of an appropriate or greater version; requires HUD_ViewConnectionAnalysis first).

Proxy: The Proxy security program prevents users from altering data on a system. In-game, this program impedes all actions, including (but not limited to) altering information, accessing data/files/programs, and deleting or otherwise modifying data/files/programs (much in the same way Firewall behaves in-game). Disable with Proxy Disabler (of an appropriate or greater version) or Proxy Killer, or bypass the security program with Proxy Bypasser (of an appropriate or greater version; requires HUD_ViewConnectionAnalysis first).

Sentry: The Sentry security program fools users into believing that modifications to the protected system have been performed, when in reality, they have not. (E.g., deleting a file does not actually delete the file while Sentry is running). Thanks to Lohi for this information. Disable with Sentry Disabler (of an appropriate or greater version) or Sentry Killer, or bypass the security program with Sentry Bypasser (of an appropriate or greater version; requires HUD_ViewConnectionAnalysis first).

-- Griffinhart

PS. Miah, I forgot about this, but Proxy and Firewall seem to be identical to one another (insofar as much as to what they do in-game), but I don't think that's correct. Proxy is supposed to prevent altering data entries (such as on the Social Security Database) but it's not supposed to prevent the deletion of files and programs, is it?

Last edited by FinalWarrior on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:23 pm 

Quote:
Currently, it is unknown what the Sentry security program does.
Sentry system makes you think that you make modifications to system, though you didn't do anything really. Like if you try to delete a file while sentry system is active it says that it's deleted but it isn't. Simple, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:27 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
*Edits post*

Muchas gracias! It seems we all learn something new every day. ^_^

-- Griffinhart

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:04 pm 

I made the post for ya. The wiki formatting isnt hard. Some of it is automatic

Really its a matter of
Quote:
==level 1 heading==
the 2 equals on each side denotates the section heading (big text with horizontal line). you can go up to level 4 with that. Just add 1 equals on each side for each level (ie: level 2 is three equals on each side)
Levels 2-4 are for subsections and are treated as such in the contents table when its being generated, so its advisable to just use them in order (level 2 for sub section, level 3 for sub sub, level 4 for sub sub sub section)

links kinda look confusing but really arent
Quote:
[http://<URL> <LINK>]
is the format. Here is an example in case you cant figure that out
Quote:
will produce
Quote:
with the little wiki link symbol next to it

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:28 pm 

I actually micro-manage Idlesoft's (ChaosR) Wiki. It's not official, but I have added many pages and fixed some pages (check out the contributions page there :P ).

So I'd be happy to help with the Wiki.

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:50 pm 

Excellent!

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:35 pm 

Gracias. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:14 pm 
Literally Nine

Can you tell me perhaps why, despite my best efforts, the purple section on the main index page doesn't span the entire width?

Also, I added some section I want to see populated.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:51 pm 

Code:
{|style="border-spacing:8px;margin:-8px -8px" |class="MainPageBG" style="width:100%;border:1px solid #f2ddce;background-color:#fff5ff;vertical-align:top;color:#000"| {|cellpadding="2" cellspacing="5" style="vertical-align:top;background-color:#fff5ff;color:#000" ! <h2>Inactive Projects</h2> |- |style="color:#000"| * [[:Category:BWC|Blank White Cards]] (Restricted) * [[:Category:Conspiro|Conspiro]] (Restricted) * [[:Category:Courier|Courier]] (Restricted) * [[:Category:Pushpin|Pushpin]] (Restricted) * [[:Category:Wyzzards|Wyzzards]] (Restricted) |} |} __NOTOC__ __NOEDITSECTION__
Try changing:
{|style="border-spacing:8px;margin:-8px -8px"
to
{|style="border-spacing:8px;margin:0px -8px"

Try this. Give feedback please.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:48 pm 
Literally Nine

No dice. That change would only move the box down eight pixels.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:08 pm 

Miah:

I found out that the width of the bar is only as long as the contents are.

I made a duplicate on my Wiki: http://www.e-ringtech.com/wiki/IO-IN_Main_Page

So, just fill up the section with text for it to expand to its full width. :)

EDIT: Also filled in some of the Wiki :P

Post subject:
PostPosted:Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:39 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:nfreader
AOL:nfreader
Thanks to everyone who's been helping with the population. It's starting to come together now.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:18 pm 

It says I can't edit it. I'm confused.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:36 pm 

Have you signed up? (Upper right hand corner of the screen)