Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Re: Onlink v0.2.0-a8
PostPosted:Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:30 pm 
Literally Nine

Quote:
CHUD is just there, IIRC, for a function which sets CPU affinity.
Correct so far.
Quote:
That's used for performance, and for CPUID.
Or anything else that you want to run on only one core, i.e. a benchmark.
Quote:
That being said, the Mach scheduler is actually very clever and does CPU affinity cleverly by itself, and since on a Mac all the CPUs are the same, the CPUID thing isn't really necessary either :)
The "cleverness" of Mach is partially why CPUID can fail miserably. You _can_ run CPUID without setting the affinity, but there's no guarantee that the result is coming from any particular processor, or that the result you get is even correct (if the thread starts running on another core during CPUID, you could be getting entirely different results than what's actually the case). I am guessing what you mean by "all the CPUs are the same" is that if you ID one CPU, the others will have identical CPUID results? I'd rather be safe and do the traditional thing: run the ID on each core, to ensure accurate results.
Quote:
Also, CHUD does evil evil things to the kernel so IMHO it would be a good idea to avoid it.
It'd be a lot nicer if they just had sched_setaffinity like all the cool kids do.

PostPosted:Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:47 pm 
Connoisseur of the Godawful

Yahoo Messenger:alistair_lynn
AOL:Agent_Vast@mac.com
You are not running single-core benchmarks in release versions of Onlink! Also, you're correct in what I mean with regard to CPUID - apart from the serial number (which, I believe, now gives you a large number of zeroes on pretty much every processor), each one will have identical results. You have a very limited number of systems from which to choose, with Mac.

PostPosted:Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:38 am 
Literally Nine

He mentioned benchmarks CAN be used. Not that they are. Don't take things so out of proportion.

He's not in the wrong for using CHUD. The necessary homework is done to that end. Further to the end, I really don't appreciate your implied message of "CHUD is dangerous":
Quote:
Also, CHUD does evil evil things to the kernel so IMHO it would be a good idea to avoid it.
It's fine. You know it's fine. I do not appreciate you acting in such a manner that would make people think that we're running risky routines on our software. That's not how we roll.

And I'd rather not have people be turned away because of a baseless statement like that.

Don't do it again.

PostPosted:Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:03 pm 
Connoisseur of the Godawful

Yahoo Messenger:alistair_lynn
AOL:Agent_Vast@mac.com
Quote:
It's fine. You know it's fine. I do not appreciate you acting in such a manner that would make people think that we're running risky routines on our software. That's not how we roll.
I said evil, not dangerous - evil as in turning on debug routines and slowing the machine down rather than making it unstable.

Now who's misinterpreting? :)

PostPosted:Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:38 pm 

Hey guys, I haven't been around here in a while. Glad to see some real progress has been made.

I hate to have to complain in my first post revisiting, but I'm experiencing MASSIVE freezes with the latest x86 beta build. Everything just freezes, text, button-presses, time, traces, the entire game with exception of the music. It lasts for on average maybe 12 seconds or so with maybe 30 second intervals. I'm running on XP btw. Is this a known bug?

I'm gonna reboot now and then retry, hope that helps.(Rebooting is XP's crystal meth after all, can't ever get enough :lol: )

PostPosted:Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:49 pm 
Literally Nine

Quote:
I said evil, not dangerous - evil as in turning on debug routines and slowing the machine down rather than making it unstable.
Evil means "bad". Something "bad" in our code implies that we've not been doing our homework and are taking unnecessary risks.

You tell me what you think it means. Look it up in a dictionary. I get "profoundly immoral and malevolent". Does that sound like something you want running on your computer?

PostPosted:Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:50 pm 
Literally Nine

Quote:
I'm running on XP btw. Is this a known bug?
Yes, it is. It's a known bug specifically with XP. We're working on it.

PostPosted:Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:02 pm 

Ok, thnx Miah. Also, I forgot to mention that the map doesn't have any names next to the server locations markers. The names do appear when a link is made. Hope you can find the solutions soon, I can't wait to see all the new features. :wink:

PostPosted:Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:25 am 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Quote:
Ok, thnx Miah. Also, I forgot to mention that the map doesn't have any names next to the server locations markers. The names do appear when a link is made.
That one's a feature, I think. Seems like a lot of people don't like it though (myself not included).

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:43 am 

Sorry, but how can that possibly be a feature? If I can't see the names, how am I supposed to find the server(s) I want to link to? That makes absolutely no sense at all.

PostPosted:Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:57 am 

@Holland_is_mad: via colour coding

I havent installed and tried the new beta yet, so I can't speak out of experience.

But for what i remember from the previous releases, hiding the server names would be convenient for they cover up the whole map and other servers when you add a lot to the map. And some people do just that (like me with my route-throughs through all servers).
So by hiding the names of the not important servers it just relieves you of that clutter.
I guess they appear, when you move over the server-dot with your cursor?

But I would like to have the choice.
I would also like to get the names of the servers marked for my current jobs displayed in full not hidden, so to find them easier by one glance at the map (in addition to the colour).
But as sad as a choice, solved via a personalisation of that feature, so you could turn the names on or off.
1.) turn server names on/off
2.) show full names of specific types: (all links on map, including basic servers, telephone, LAN, current job, ... / just telephone links / just current jobs servers / my gateways ...)

-> all in addition to the colour settings for I think Miah already added that useful and more than welcome feature, where you can customise the colour-code in which the server-dots of various link-types appear (e.g. white=all basic servers, yellow=own gateways, green=banks, pink=current jobs as long as still active/uncompleted, grey=phones, ... or else, however you set them)

PostPosted:Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:02 am 

AOL:DKWiz214
I think it should be that all highlighted servers (either personal choice or mission critical) should show the names, and then hovering over a server shows the full server name, not just the owner. Sometimes it's a bit of a pain when you have 4 or 5 machines by the same company and all you see is the company name.

PostPosted:Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:52 pm 

@ghost_sypher:

I don't really see how your color coding argument applies to everything as Internic for example isn't color coded at all. Also if you'd accept lots of missions or missions involving multiple servers, how could you tell them apart? Or what if you want to hack something on your own without there being a mission?(Like a bank or government database.) I agree that showing all the names can sometimes create problems, but this is no way to solve it.

The best way would be giving the player the option to turn names for some parts off. For example:
1) Non-mission servers
2) Mission servers
3) Government servers
4) Bank servers
etc.

PostPosted:Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:13 pm 

Yes, yes, the best option would naturally be to give the user as much control as possible over what shows up and when.

Customization be good ^^

Last edited by DaFranker on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:13 pm 

@Holland_is_mad:

But that's sort of what I said :D

Leaving the choice to the player, whether he wants to just leave all the names on, or switch them off and only showing them, when hovering over the location or be selective about wich names are displayed in full and wich not.

As to the colour coding: I was guessing. As I said I heaven't tried the new version yet. It's just what I thought it would be like now from all the posts and news by Miah and Tycho.
That's how I imagined -or sort of secretly wished also- what opportunities you would have with the colours now.

I youse the colour coding allready now with the old version were there are only two colours (white and orange/red). But it still helps finding the necessary servers among all the name tags. Usually the new mission servers are added to the map and colour coded (until solved) automatically. I don't need to colour code InterNIC since it's easy to find. I usually only leave the mission servers, some banks an InterNIC and my Gateways on the Map. When I than load my jumppoints, all servers are shown, cluttering the screen. Bu I memorised the server, I want to connect to (maybe by pointing with the finger to the position). From time to time you would have to clean the map of the not servers not needed anymore.

I think, Tycho or Miah mentioned something of extensive colour options so you could not only choose between white and ornage but more. How you set them and what colour you use for wich purpouse is completely left to your decision.

@DaFranker:

adding: and still keeping it strait forward and simple despite all that freedom so newcomers wouldn't drown in decision making :wink: