Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:44 am 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
My excuses: Girlfriend. Mass Effect.

But I'm still here.

-- Griffinhart

PS. Hey. I just hit 200 posts. Woo. :roll:

Last edited by FinalWarrior on Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:45 am 

I'm loving Onlink too, it would be sad to see this project shut down just as it starts to be good and something tangible after all these incertain years where you've had troubles.

There's some things that I think should be done about Onlink:

First, people might think Onlink is the same old Uplink and that it doesn't add much. Maybe it's time to add a new campaign for it. It doesn't need to be your epic gigantic storyline that you plan to release one of those days, just make a self contained storyline that is even cooler than the ARC vs Arunmor one, make it accessible early in the game so people don't stop playing until they've reached it (make it so if you select this campaign the ARC vs Arunmor campaign is resolved without the player's intervention), and make it features some of the new servers, features and missions to put them in the spot light.

Second, if it's the lack of community that bug you, maybe you should start advertizing Onlink. In case you don't know, 5% of a game's popularity is due to its own merits, the other 95% is due to marketing. Spend several months to plug Onlink or find someone good and more importantly, someone reliable that you trust to do it for you full time. Plug Onlink, plug it absolutly everywhere you can think of, in every Uplink's, Darwinia's and Defcon's communities and fansites. Ask the guys behind Introversion to talk about it sometimes in a news update. Plug it where you think there might be fans of hacking games, Uplink and Introversion games. Ask the guys on the Independant Gaming blog, The Indie Gamer Source, Abandonia Reloaded and other mods and indies websites to write an article to talk about your mod. Plug it in the Home Of The Underdogs forums, there's lot of Uplink and Introversion fan there. Plug it on every websites that might have talked about Uplink, Darwinia or DEFCON like Manifesto Games. Uplink and Introversion softwares games are probably the most well known and played indie games out there, surely you will remind people of the good old days of Uplink and gather a new crowd.

This last advice is straight from Dave Gilbert, a guy who's making a living off selling old school adventure games, releasing a great game is not enough, you must also make sure it reach your players. Don't believe it? Look at the top 8 list of the most popular games on Manifesto Games, all of Gilbert's games are on that list.

And change your website design for a simplier one before it scare away your potential new players! What happened to the good old days of "News", "What is Onlink?", "Features", "Screenshots", "Download", "Forums" and "Contact"?

Last edited by blueskirt on Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:47 am 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Also, that wiki needs us peoples updating it, so it can be a manual for newbies.

Too bad I have no Wiki Fu. (Wiki Search Do, on the other hand...)

-- Griffinhart

Post subject:Reporting for duty after being hospitelized
PostPosted:Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:30 am 

Location:The left hemosphere on the Right Hand Brainosphere!
sorry guys, been away for a little cuz I've been hospitalized..:( I didn't even got to finish the assignments that Miah had put up in the mail for those who applied for the "new Position" thing.. Oh well, you cant have it all still playing Onlink becuase this game rocks and now with my new sound system with a cool subwoofer, the sound of the trace being made is sweeter that ever..... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:38 am 

Quote:
Reporting as requested.

I love this mod.
seconded

Multiwinia. Yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:18 am 
Internal Beta Tester

I come back here after a year or so of abandoning the project, and this is the first thing I see.

I feel guilty. Is there anything I can do to help? Do I still have clearance?

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:24 am 

*support mod*

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:39 am 

AOL:JotaCorp
I'm here. Love Onlink and what you've done with it. The new features are terrific, and I can't wait for some of the other things mentioned to be implemented.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:41 am 

Well, I'm here... I check up on the site everyday...

I play Onlink when I can, but, at the moment, it IS too recursive, and I think the speed the storyline moves should be tuned down a bit, and the speed which security systems develop must also be slower.

Plus, missions do not offer enough credits to afford the software and hardware required to advance. (Either that, or there are not enough missions available that are doable/affordable at a certain time).

Other than that, great mod. :D

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

Post subject:Present and correct, Sir!
PostPosted:Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:46 pm 

I'm still here and playing Onlink. Granted I'm not playing as much as I used to, but, I do visit the onlink site at least once a week to check on its progress. Personally, I think that Onlink is the breath of new life that was needed for Uplink. It's a superb mod, thanks and keep it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:10 pm 

I have been getting back into Uplink, an old favorite of mine and I came across this mod as I am now playing the game in Linux. Unfortunately I am getting the same error as another poster who said they fixed it by upgrading to the latest Linux version, but that seems to no longer be on the mirrors. I'm using 0.1.1-final.

Here's the error: ./uplink.full: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found

Anyway, looks like a great mod. I hope I will be able to play it! Kudos for making a linux release at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:46 pm 

Onlink's original script writer and word-monkey, reporting in. :twisted:

Riddla's back in the house, bitches. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:07 am 
Literally Nine

Quote:
I have been getting back into Uplink, an old favorite of mine and I came across this mod as I am now playing the game in Linux. Unfortunately I am getting the same error as another poster who said they fixed it by upgrading to the latest Linux version, but that seems to no longer be on the mirrors. I'm using 0.1.1-final.

Here's the error: ./uplink.full: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found

Anyway, looks like a great mod. I hope I will be able to play it! Kudos for making a linux release at all.
If you don't have the latest GCC installed, you can have problems with it. I'll work on getting a new Linux build up, and have some people test it.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:07 am 

Reporting in...I check the forums weekly at least, play all the releases...I just wish I had more time to post.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:30 am 

The community isn't dead, I've been visiting this site every week since it was created, and I shall continue doing so until (and after) Onlink 1.0 is released.