Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Re: Is the Onlink community dead?
PostPosted:Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:34 am 

Well since my post I have had the time to log in a few hours with Onlink and I must say I am impressed with what I have seen that has been added, things like wireless transmitters, auxilary gateways, and the added software (along with the lab).

From everything I have read it looks like 0.2.0 is going to be awesome indeed, and then with 0.3.0 having a complete recode it sounds like it will become a standalone game seperate from Uplink entirely, but I could be wrong (probably am :) )

PostPosted:Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:59 pm 

[quote="Imperius Rex"]Well since my post I have had the time to log in a few hours with Onlink and I must say I am impressed with what I have seen that has been added, things like wireless transmitters, auxilary gateways, and the added software (along with the lab).

From everything I have read it looks like 0.2.0 is going to be awesome indeed, and then with 0.3.0 having a complete recode it sounds like it will become a standalone game seperate from Uplink entirely, but I could be wrong (probably am :) )[/quote]

Yeah I'm really hyped because of the new storyline + side-storylines. I felt Uplink got stale fast because the story was a little boring but I reckon Miah will have done a good job.

And by Good Job, I mean he's put so many NASTY security systems and puzzles in it, that the storyline will take like a year to complete/many google hours.

PostPosted:Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:22 pm 
Literally Nine

Quote:
And by Good Job, I mean he's put so many NASTY security systems and puzzles in it, that the storyline will take like a year to complete/many google hours.
There's one system that I doubt if google will assist you at all, as chances are that you won't know what to look for. Other than that, yes. There's some really nasty things.

Thankfully, it's a fully optional feature that has little to do with the storyline.

Also note the the main storyline *will not kick off* in 0.2.0, but the side storyline will. Consider it a preamble.

PostPosted:Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:02 pm 

"And by Good Job, I mean he's put so many NASTY security systems and puzzles in it, that the storyline will take like a year to complete/many google/hair pulling out/door breaking/desk smashing hours."

Fixed.

PostPosted:Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:13 pm 

What do you mean by "will not kick off"? The usual storyline will not be starting at a specific point, but the knew one will, or is it more like: "there is still the old storyline but it hasn't been altered and therefore is no eye-opener but the knew storyline added will really knock you off the chairs"?

Hope there will be manuals and explanations be found to new software / Security that documents on solving techniques and suggestions or makes vague assumptions on still verry knew security that is seldom and not yet well known. To be found on the general uplink-server, some more advanced stuff on the lab sites (new appearing with the evolution of security and gameprogress or becoming available also with higher experience levels, some maybe baught) and some only found on some secret servers or LANs hidden deep in the net (maybe a security software company's research-server / LAN or a developers personal computer (that you may have to trace back via the logs of the research-Lan ...)

PostPosted:Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:46 pm 

[quote="ghost_sypher"]What do you mean by "will not kick off"? The usual storyline will not be starting at a specific point, but the knew one will, or is it more like: "there is still the old storyline but it hasn't been altered and therefore is no eye-opener but the knew storyline added will really knock you off the chairs"?

Hope there will be manuals and explanations be found to new software / Security that documents on solving techniques and suggestions or makes vague assumptions on still verry knew security that is seldom and not yet well known. To be found on the general uplink-server, some more advanced stuff on the lab sites (new appearing with the evolution of security and gameprogress or becoming available also with higher experience levels, some maybe baught) and some only found on some secret servers or LANs hidden deep in the net (maybe a security software company's research-server / LAN or a developers personal computer (that you may have to trace back via the logs of the research-Lan ...)[/quote]

I assume that "will not kick off" means at the very most there's hints at the storyline. Also as far as I am aware, the full new Onlink story missions come after the original uplink.

As for documenting all the software and stuff, I think I remember asking Miah about this and I said I'd write stuff up for this purpose if I could ask him every now and then if i'm not sure what certain software/hardware or whatever does.

PostPosted:Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:13 pm 
Literally Nine

Quote:
As for documenting all the software and stuff, I think I remember asking Miah about this and I said I'd write stuff up for this purpose if I could ask him every now and then if i'm not sure what certain software/hardware or whatever does.
Feel free. Better to contact me on one of the many IM options.

PostPosted:Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:40 am 

BTW, what is uplink written in?

(id ask for onlink 2, but for obvious reasons they are probably same lang)

PostPosted:Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:37 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
C++, IIRC.

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Sat May 30, 2009 2:25 am 

Quote:
Because until 0.3.x or later (0.3.x will see the replacement of the graphical rendering code in full, file structure reformed in whole, and audio system recored for starters), and until such a time, it is subjected to the Uplink Developer's License.
(hey, why is the quote system f***ed btw?)

hmm... personally i think you should really prior changing out whatever code is copyrighted from intro... if you could make it (sounds like a huge job rlly).. *open-source* I'm sure new developers would show up :p

PostPosted:Sat May 30, 2009 2:49 am 
Literally Nine

Quote:
Quote:
Because until 0.3.x or later (0.3.x will see the replacement of the graphical rendering code in full, file structure reformed in whole, and audio system recored for starters), and until such a time, it is subjected to the Uplink Developer's License.
(hey, why is the quote system f***ed btw?)

hmm... personally i think you should really prior changing out whatever code is copyrighted from intro... if you could make it (sounds like a huge job rlly).. *open-source* I'm sure new developers would show up :p
It's not f'd. you have bbcode disabled.

And we've considered open source, but it's not legally possible yet. It'd be nice, though.

PostPosted:Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:53 pm 

btw 1 thing that crossed my mind now, when i thought about making a bug report;
since all the dev's (2 devs?) are probably changed all priorities from Onlink to Cerebrus now, is there any point in adding new bugs on the tracker for Onlink? :p

PostPosted:Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:57 pm 

lol, sry for resurrecting a long dead topic, but, as requested over a year ago, i am reporting in. played this game for a few years, lurked the forum for a few years too. cant wait for kite.

PostPosted:Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:02 am 

Well, unfortunately you didn't resurrect.
As long as Onlink/Cerberus still must be considered unfinnished, this is always a fair question. Especially in times when progress seems to come to an hold. (Which is again in turn an occasional repeating cycle - it seems and we hope).

So Miah, Tycho: how are things going?

PostPosted:Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:14 pm 
Literally Nine

Quote:
So Miah, Tycho: how are things going?
BRB, strangling Rackable Systems